Views
Helpful
Replies

Best practice power setting when doing a Site Survey for VOIP

olavarr69
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Team,

Can someone please confirm or correct me.  When doing a Wireless Active Site Survey for Cisco VOIP, I should be setting the Test AP to local power of 14, which is 25mW?  Is this correct, or should it be another value?  I asked the customer for the power of their weakest client and they do not know, but they claim there's a high probably that they will go with Cisco VOIP clients.

Thanks...

2 Replies 2

Abha Jha
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

When you check the signal coverage, make sure the AP's radio transmit power does not use a transmit power greater than what the client devices can support. For example, by default, the Cisco Unified Wireless IP Phone 7925G uses the highest available transmit power by default (17 dBm / 50 mW for 2.4 GHz and 16 dBm / 40 mW for 5 GHz). It is possible to have a survey report that shows good coverage in all areas; however, if you have APs that operate at the highest transmit power, you might still experience uplink issues where the client devices do not support the same transmit power. For areas where there is deficient coverage, and you increase the AP transmit power to levels that the client devices cannot support, this only increases coverage on the downlink.

Link for the same :-

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/5500-series-wireless-controllers/116057-site-survey-guidelines-wlan-00.html

abwahid
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Whatever the transmit power level you set on your local AP, but be sure it shouldn't be more than what client devices can support.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card