Views
Helpful
Replies

How to apply QOS and bandwidth management command on a Tunnel Interface

rammany19
Level 1
Level 1

hello,

i have this command on my router but remote users uses all the bandwidth because i can't monitor what they are doing at the remote site.

please, how can i apply a bandwidth management command such as QOS, NBAR or Policing.

please, help on the below config how i can give bandwidth to a branch.

interface Tunnel24
 description INTERFACE TUNNEL TO BERLIN
 ip address 10.10.13.1 255.255.255.252
 tunnel source 192.27.5.2
 tunnel destination 3.27.150.14

11 Replies 11

acampbell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Have a look at this link:-

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/quality-of-service-qos/qos-policing/10106-qos-tunnel.html

Regards

Alex

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

Thanks for the link specified, but do i need to apply shaping to both the branch and the HQ?

will this below work on the tunnel interface;

interface Tunnel0 
  ip address 130.1.2.1 255.255.255.0 
  traffic-shape rate 500000 125000 125000 1000 
  tunnel source 10.1.1.1 
  tunnel destination 10.2.2.2

Hi,

if at all you are going to use the shaping. It is always good to use in both the devices.

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

If your physical interface is the bottleneck, as often the case on remote side sites, what would be the advantage of shaping its device(s)?

shine pothen
Level 3
Level 3

you also using this link. which gives you an example of QoS configuration 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/qos_classn/configuration/xe-3s/qos-classn-xe-3s-book/qos-classn-tunnel-gre.html

1. enable

2. configureterminal

3. class-map [match-all | match-any] class-map-name

4. matchip precedenceprecedence-value

5. exit

6. class-map [match-all | match-any] class-map-name

7. matchip dscpdscp-value

8. end

Joseph W. Doherty
    Hall of Fame
    Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

The tunnel is on a router?  If so, you can apply a service policy, in or out or both, on the tunnel interface or (sometimes also and) the physical interface.

Unable to make more specific suggestions because you haven't defined what your requirements for controlling bandwidth are.

The tunnel is on a router, remote users use up bandwidth at the HQ, we need to be able to control traffic for remote locations that are configured as tunnel.

please, what is the best way?

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

Well with tunnels, the "best way" often includes shapers to correspond to available bandwidth.  For example, if HQ had T3 and remote had T1, you would shape the traffic at HQ to remote at 1.5 Mbps.

Depending on your available bandwidth, you might want a QoS policy at the bottlenecks.  Again, for an example of HQ with T3 and remote with T1, the HQ shaper would have a child policy while the remote would have a policy on the physical interface.

Please, can you all help on the configuration example by having the below

HQ bandwidth----512KPS

REMOTE; 64KPS

what command is the best to apply and the best position to apply it maybe tunnel or physical interface.

HQ

interface Tunnel24
     ip address 10.10.13.1 255.255.255.252
     tunnel source 192.27.5.2
     tunnel destination 3.27.150.14

REMOTE

interface Tunnel24
     ip address 10.10.13.4 255.255.255.252
     tunnel source 3.27.150.14
     tunnel destination 192.27.5.2

please, its urgent as i have tried my best its not working.

Thanks

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

What kind of physical WAN media and what speed are the interfaces?

On the HQ side, you'll want to shape for the remote side's bandwidth, but how depends on the prior question.  (Also how depends on platform and IOS version.)

The medium is VSAT and the speed is 512kps.

you are right on stating that the tunnel is only needs to be applied at the HQ.

i would like to give each branch 64kps.

The version of my IOS is v15 on some devices and ver 12.4 on some.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco