cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Radius and local authentication

marramix01
Level 1
Level 1

I am in the process of configuring RADIUS authentication on our network devices. But I also use SolarWinds network configuration manager to manage\back up the device configurations. 

I would like to use Radius for when someone needs to access the network devices for any reason and for SolarWinds NCM to use local access (local user name and password) I am trying to find some information online, but no luck so far. I've only been able to find info in regards Radius as primary method and to use local if Radius is not available. 

Can you specify to use the local user database for one or two hosts\IP addresses? (SolarWinds servers)  

Thanks again, 

marramix01

4 Replies 4

Danny Morris
Level 1
Level 1

You could specify a specific VTY port for Solarwinds and leave all of the others for Radius. I would try something like the following:

ip ssh port #### rotary 1

line vty 5

rotary 1

login local

Just assign a specific unused port in place of ####. You would then need to configure Solarwinds to use the new port number for this login.

Thanks for the replies. I will be testing both solutions, but I think our mgmt would like to have SW to use the local account. 

Thanks again. 

marramix01

No problem! Do some testing and let us know the results :-) 

If/once your issue is resolved please mark the thread as "answered"

Thank you for rating helpful posts!

nspasov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In addition to what was suggested by Danny, you could also create a Radius username/password for NCM. This will allow you to:

1. Not have the need to use local db for logins, thus forcing all authentications through radius

2. Change password, username and/or disable/delete the NCM account of needed without having to hit all devices

3. Have audit trail on when that account was used and if it was used for any other means but NCM device backups. 

Thank you for rating helpful posts! 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: