cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

B200 M3 KVM kb/mouse hang on Windows Server 2012 R2 Update install

ucthakur2
Level 1
Level 1

When we install Windows Server 2012 R2 Update (specifically using Windows Server 2012 R2 Update 1 ISO), mouse and keyboard does not respond after server is installed. Is it a known issue or is there specific firmware or UCS version requirement to support Windows 2012 R2 Update?

This issue is not experienced when we install Windows Server 2012 R2 RTM ISO.

12 Replies 12

Keny Perez
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

It seems to be fully supported here http://www.cisco.com/web/techdoc/ucs/interoperability/matrix/matrix.html if I use UCSM 2.2(2) as the UCSM version (IDK which one you are using) but the question is, what about other servers?  Do they have other OS installed and the issue is the same?

Is this Windows machine a bare metal installation or a VM?

Please provide us with more information, if possible...

-Kenny

ucsm is 2.1(3a)

there are servers built using 'windows server 2012' and 'windows server 2012 r2' and (bare-metal) and they are working fine. they do not experience this problem. It is only when 'windows server 2012 r2 Update' ISO is used to build a bare-metal blade, this issue is experienced.

UCSM is running - 2.1(3c)

I have found a link that somehow relates to the KVM issue on the bugtoolkit website , however it does not match the UCSM version nor the exact issue. 

Cant seem to find any other links or documents from Cisco or others regarding this issue except this particular post. 

BUG id - CSCuo78883

I do not rule out java related issues however BUG id - CSCuo78883 doesn't seem related to me. I can access console of all other OS flavors except this one.

Due to the fact that this is latest OS ISO release from Microsoft, there might be some changes (don't know exactly what) that would require an updated version of KVM or firmware update to support the changes and ultimately enable keyboard/mouse for this flavor of operating system.

We are having the same exact issue. I am able to open and get a response from the KVM for all other flavors of Microsoft Operating system. I have not tried with any Unix / Linux servers. 

I have tried it in different versions of Java and modified the settings as well. From what I see , this could be a new bug as there seems to be no documentation on anyone else seeing this error. Very close to upgrading the UCSM but it can be a very time consuming task. The dilemma here is whether an upgrade would actually fix the issue. 

I have tested this with Hyper -V 2012 R2 and that works. 

If you are hitting this bug (CSCuo78883 ) the system does not even let you access UCSM smiley

-Kenny

I dont see the UpdateX listed as a version supported for the 2.1(3a) version (see image attached) but, I saw customer having problems with a particular UpdateX version (which was not listed either) of ESXi as well.

Is this a new installation? If yes, it might be worth to try a version listed in the matrix... If this is NOT a new installation, when did you begin to see the issue? and, do other users have the same issue with this particular server?

-Kenny

This is a new installation. The KVM responds while the server is boot prompt. I am able to press F2 to get into setup mode and etc. The moment Windows 2012 R2 Update 1 Operating System is running thats when the KVM stops responding. 

I have ran through the compatibility matrix website and it appears though unfortunately Windows 2012 R2 Update 1 is not listed at all. Does this mean that its not supported. 

Well, technically that is what TAC will tell you... the question is, does the whole system freezes or just through KVM?  I mean, can you ping the server when this happens? Have you had a chance to at least set up an IP for the server and try to RDP or it does not even let you get there?

If this is a new installation, it will be worth to try a version listed in the matrix and test.

-Kenny

We are experiencing the same issue as well. UCSM version is 2.1(3c) and we are running Windows Server 2012 R2 Core. 

KVM works fine with another server running Windows 2008 or any other OS platform on the same Chassis. 

I have tried multiple java versions and multiple browsers. Still the same issue. Java security has been reduced to Medium. UCS url has been added to the exception list. 

Is the same experienced when you RDP to the server ? or ONLY through KVM ?

-Kenny

baronnemouton
Level 1
Level 1

We have this problem, did you manage to find a resolution?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card