Views
Helpful
Replies

connect WLC to a router

Andrey128
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

is it possible to connect WLC to a router?  Router's configuration may be like this:

interface gi0/0.a

encapsulation dot1q a

ip address x.x.x.x y.y.y.y

•  

interface gi0/0.b

encapsulation dot1q b

ip address v.v.v.v y.y.y.y

•  

interface gi0/0.c

encapsulation dot1q c

ip address z.z.z.z y.y.y.y

5 Replies 5

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes. Remember the WLC isn't a router, but rather more like a switch. Depending on how many router ports, I would just do switch and not lag on the wlc. Then tie all the lc ports via trucks to the router .. Tag away ..

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

my concern is if I connect a WLC to a router and enable dot1q on it, will the trunk link between these devices work?

They have in my lab, yes. So long as you configure the WLC to tag. You should be fine. I will say, best practice is to put a switch between them. Is this for a small office ?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

I would not say that it is a small office, it is one with not the very best design;). From my perspective connecting a WLC directly to WAN router will cause minimum changes and problems on the productive network.

Dont lag. Make the config "ports" assign the interfaces to a port number and network away .. Good luck. Thank you for the rating ..