Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 5508 wlc mesh SSID broadcasting?

Hello,

I'm experiencing a strange phenomenon in my environment. Users on Windows laptops seem to be attempting to connect to SSIDs they're seeing coming from an AP which is in bridge mode (and not broadcasting an SSID). I've confirmed nothing weird is happening where the bridge would be broadcasting SSIDs (standing right next to the bridge on a freshly imaged laptop and when I connect I go straight to a properly configured flexconnect AP).

There's no out of the box way in Windows to tell the OS that an access point isn't valid once it thinks that it is, so I'm reaching out to the community to see if anyone else has seen this before. My next troubleshooting step will be to put the bridges into autonomous mode if I can't find an answer.

The environment consists of a 5508 WLC HA pair, standard flexconnect environment for in-house wireless, and we've got a bridging pair connecting a couple of buildings. The affected PCs are Windows 7 and Windows 8

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jeffrey Keown
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Are you sure the mesh ap isn't configured to advertise the wlans of concern?

Unless it's in an AP group with no wlans, it will advertise wlans 1-16 via its 2.4ghz interface (and 5ghz if 'mesh backhaul client access' is enabled).

here's a controller cli command to confirm (1550 is the AP name) ('site name' is the ap group)

(jk-4400-111) >show ap wlan 802.11b 1550

Site Name........................................ 1550
Site Description................................. <none>

WLAN ID          Interface          BSSID
-------         -----------        --------------------------
18              management           88:f0:77:b7:b2:20
19              management           88:f0:77:b7:b2:21

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jeffrey Keown
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Are you sure the mesh ap isn't configured to advertise the wlans of concern?

Unless it's in an AP group with no wlans, it will advertise wlans 1-16 via its 2.4ghz interface (and 5ghz if 'mesh backhaul client access' is enabled).

here's a controller cli command to confirm (1550 is the AP name) ('site name' is the ap group)

(jk-4400-111) >show ap wlan 802.11b 1550

Site Name........................................ 1550
Site Description................................. <none>

WLAN ID          Interface          BSSID
-------         -----------        --------------------------
18              management           88:f0:77:b7:b2:20
19              management           88:f0:77:b7:b2:21

Ahaaa that makes sense - ok, that would make sense. Alright I've hauled the offending bridging APs into a separate group with no WLANs associated, will test with my affected users and see if we've got it resolved.

Thanks much.

you bet.  let me know if that doesn't do the trick for you.

Thanks again, that got us sorted out perfectly.

glad to help and hear that did the trick

have a great weekend

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: