cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MOVI Phonebooks on TMS 13.1.1 (Only pulling from endpoints)

geoff bricker
Level 1
Level 1

Ok, so I've had a maddening time trying to figure this out... Here is the situation...

TMS 13.1.1

Movi (Mac client 4.7) 

When I search for contacts, I can only see "endpoints" that are registered to our TMS server....

When I find the guilty culprit in phonebook sources (All Systems) its set for TMS Cisco Endpoints, which cannot be changed once the source is made (maddening, even if you disconnect the source from a phone book). Regardless, under the Systems > Provisioning > Directory the Phone Book URI is: phonebook@SIPDOMAIN.com (our true sip domain). However, it is ONLY pulling from Endpoints registered to TMS.

The main issue with that is, we create manual phone book entries based on states, and also include systems which are NOT even registered to our main video core (VCSe cluster), but through other systems. We really need the MOVI users to be able to search for these phonebook entries as well, and I've been up, down, sideways, diagonal...I don't know what else to do. But i'm at my wits end!

How on earth do I dictate where MOVI users should be pulling their phonebooks from?! Thanks In advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Something I'd suggest you look at, is that since you're running TMS 13.1.1, and assuming TMS Agent Legacy, you might want to consider upgrading to TMS 14.4.x and TMSPE 1.2.  TMSPE is the replacement for TMS Agent Legacy, note going forward TMS Agent Legacy is no longer supported with the newer versions of TMS.

I'll do some testing tomorrow with my Jabber Video (Movi) client doing some different combinations of searches.  I can't say how it goes about searching, but I'll see if I can duplicate your search results, it could just be how the client does it.

In order to look up other Movi users in the phone book, you'll need to create a phone book source of your provisioning directory, then connect that to a phone book, and add the appropriate access for them to use it.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

There is an access control tab in the phone book (TMS > Phone Books > Manage Phone Books), you need to select the provisioning folder that will have give users access to that particular phone book.

Access Control

On the Access Control tab you can set read and update access to phone books for Cisco TMS user groups by clicking on the respective links with these names. If Cisco TMSPE is installed, you can also grant access to phone books for provisioning users here.

Steps from TMS online help:

1. Go to Phone Books > Manage Phone Books and open or create the phone book to which you want to grant users access.
  2. Open the tab Access Control.
  3. Select Provisioning Directory Groups.
  4. Expand the root directory and select the directory groups that are to have access to this phone book.
  5. Check Apply settings to "(current phone book)" and all underlying phone books if required.
  6. Click Save.

Hey Patrick!

I have indeed done this. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be doing the trick. It still seems to only pull the info from our TMS endpoints (phone book source > all systems > which is set to Cisco TMS endpoints). 

I've even tried to patiently wait for things to update vs forcing updates. According to logs, everything is syncing 100% successful (minus those endpoints who are offline and cannot have latest phonebooks pushed to them). 

What is "Route Phone Book Entries" set to under Admin Tools > Configuration > General Settings?

• Yes is the default setting, which means that endpoints will only display addresses that they are capable of dialling. For example, on an H.323-only endpoint, ISDN numbers and SIP addresses will not be displayed.
  • No means that the endpoints will display all addresses and numbers in the phone book regardless of their dialling capabilities.

If the missing phone book entries are not SIP, and this is set to Yes, than only SIP entries will appear on the Movi clients.

Can you tell us more about the phone book entries, are any others missing, what protocols are the entries, etc?

Hey Patrick,

Route Phone Book Entries WAS set to "No" about an hour or so ago, but I changed it to Yes. Its currently set to YES.

I've now switched it back to "No" based on your descriptions. 

One thing that is missing is all "Directory" phonebooks, so it can't lookup any of our users (MOVI account users) while that is not entirely a big deal, it would be nice to have this enabled as well. However, currently the following types of entries are missing "intermittently" 

Some H323 some SIP show. Which I found interesting. When I went to "Portal" and "Endpoints" thats when I noticed that its only showing entries which show up on "Endpoints" under our various folders (Discovered, Physicians, Hospitals). 

I hope I'm answering everything for you, also I really appreciate the help!

Actually, Patrick...I think we're getting closer.

One of the places that wasn't showing up, is now showing up properly. I am going to find out whats happening with the other, but at least we're closer. 

On a related note to this...what would cause the system to only search based off a certain term? For example...

Saint Cathederal Medical Hospital

When I search "Medical Hospital" nothing is found. When I search "Saint Cathe" nothing is found. When I search "Cathederal" itself, it is indeed found. I am curious if this is a bug in MOVI based on search terms, or what?

Also if you have any insight on having the rest of our "directory" accounts show in MOVI, that would be fantastically awesome! I'm assuming I have to create a phone book just based off that, but when I tried creating a User based phone book, it never showed any contacts. 

Something I'd suggest you look at, is that since you're running TMS 13.1.1, and assuming TMS Agent Legacy, you might want to consider upgrading to TMS 14.4.x and TMSPE 1.2.  TMSPE is the replacement for TMS Agent Legacy, note going forward TMS Agent Legacy is no longer supported with the newer versions of TMS.

I'll do some testing tomorrow with my Jabber Video (Movi) client doing some different combinations of searches.  I can't say how it goes about searching, but I'll see if I can duplicate your search results, it could just be how the client does it.

In order to look up other Movi users in the phone book, you'll need to create a phone book source of your provisioning directory, then connect that to a phone book, and add the appropriate access for them to use it.

Hey Both,

Just a pointer (although I don't think it would affect you reading from above), but certainly Jabber/TMS does have an issue returning some results if you have used the '@' sign in the System Name. We have multiple devices from multiple organisations in TMS and used to set the system name to look like a URI, such that 'system@domain.com'. However, searching for 'Domain' yields no results. As such, we changed ALL the system names showing TMS to be 'system - domian.com', and et viola, result start appearing.

I did post about this "bug" some time ago.

Cheers

Chris

I did some testing, searching for "clinic", it returned the following results:

Hope Medical Clinic
UF Clinical & Translation

It seems to be working for me fine.  I don't know what version of Jabber Video (Movi) you're using, but I'm running 4.8.x.  I'm also running TMSPE.

Our deployment is:

TMS - 14.3.2

TMSPE - 1.1

VCSs - x8.2.1

Jabber of Video - 4.8.6

I also recommend that you migrate towards TMS Provisioning Extension which is much more stable. No bugs related to TMS Agent Legacy will be fixed or even looked at unless the issue is the same on TMSPE.

This is the recommendation you will get from TAC as well. Don´t waste hours troubleshooting TMS Agent Legacy when most of the issues are fixed in TMSPE. Use those hours planning the upgrade and migration, the end result will be much better.

/Magnus

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: