Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

5 meters away from the AP, wifi speed dropped about half

Unanswered Question
Sep 4th, 2014
User Badges:

Hi

I got 5 new 2602i APs in a new office, they are controlled by a 5508 on FlexConnect mode, I found my wirelss connection speed changed dymatically.  after I check lots things, now I can confirm it's the distances and client numbers have unthinkable dymatical impact on the wireless speed.

when I stood under the AP I was associated on, I could get to full internet speed, 40M, but just walked 5 meters away from the AP, still in a open area, tested again, internet speed dropped to about 20M.

at same location, on my desk, when everyone has gone home, only my laptop was connected, I can get almost full speed, about 36M, the closest AP is  2-3 meter away, and during day time, when there is about less than 10 clients associated on the same AP, my internet speed dropped to 4-6M(while overall internet usage just around 3M).

I can understand distance and number of clients can have impact on wireless performance, but by that big different, I am thinking there are should be a big space to improve.

I left most settings as default, just setup FlexConnect, and shut down raido slot 1, because I had very bad experience with all my 10 old 1142 APs had Raido slot 1 kept up and down.

what should I looking at now to make my wirelss speed more stable/robust?

Thanks a lot.

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
martin.parodi Thu, 09/04/2014 - 07:19
User Badges:

Hello, could you fix the power at 1 and try again?

Wireless --> 802.11b/g/n --> Configure --> Tx Power Level Assignment --> Assignment Method "Custom" and set it in 1

Scott Fella Thu, 09/04/2014 - 07:41
User Badges:
  • Super Silver, 17500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 Wireless

What code are you running?  Have you looked at the drivers versions on the machines?  If they are pretty old and your using a newer code version on the 5508's, you can have issues.  Upgrade the drivers and then test again.  I would also test internally, not using a speed test.  Download jperf and test between two machines, that will give you and idea of true speeds internal.  You can also connect a laptop to the same vlan as the wireless client and see if you get various results on the wired side also.

Scott

rhienwei2010 Thu, 09/04/2014 - 08:14
User Badges:

my 5508's code is 7.4.121

when you said driver, you meant driver of my wireless card on my laptop, or driver of the AP.  if it's driver of the AP, hehe, have not figured how to check that.

Daniel Ordóñez ... Thu, 09/04/2014 - 08:18
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more
  • Participante Destacado,

El Favorito: Noviembre 2015

Scott is talking about your laptop (Laptops)  =)

Scott Fella Thu, 09/04/2014 - 08:20
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 Wireless

haha... too funny... yeah your laptop:)

rhienwei2010 Thu, 09/04/2014 - 08:27
User Badges:

don't know my laptop's driver. but got this laptop late last year

so cannot be too old.  And my colleagues experienced the same.

Freerk Terpstra Fri, 09/05/2014 - 07:56
User Badges:
  • Community Spotlight Award,

Questions Answered, March 2016

Is there a possibility that you test with another type of client? I have run into the same issue with some HP netbooks; which all got returned to HP because of a bad (internal) antenna.

If you have the same issues with other types of clients, could you please give the output of a show client MAC and show run-config ?

rhienwei2010 Sat, 09/06/2014 - 23:01
User Badges:

tried on a HP laptop, an Apple laptop, and two different smart phones. all experienced the issue.

Scott Fella Sun, 09/07/2014 - 04:28
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 Wireless

Do not test using a speed test. Download jperf in which you test between two clients. You can also try using a file transfer, FTP or windows to see what the speeds are internal. My home internet is 100 down and 50 up and I don't get that speed on the wireless, on my wired side I do. Internet speed from my iPhone is max 20/20 also on an Aruba and Meraki AP in my lab.  

Scott

rhienwei2010 Sun, 09/07/2014 - 16:06
User Badges:

it's not the numbers themselves worried me, it's the difference on numbers over just 5 meters distance worried.  if I just got 20M very where in the office, I am OK with it, but I did get 40M when I stood next to the AP, and only 20M 5 meter further.  The difference on the reslutes when nothing but only distance was changed slightly, that's the problem.

Scott Fella Sun, 09/07/2014 - 17:58
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 Wireless

Again, what is the internal speed in your local LAN?  I really can't tell you how to fix that... To be honest. My focus is if it works and works well. Speed test to the internet is not something I use for a true test.  You can try opening a TAC case and ask the engineer to investigate that. 

Scott

rhienwei2010 Sun, 09/07/2014 - 18:07
User Badges:

most our wireless users are using wireless to connect internet, so internet speed does matter.  And 20M speed at 5 meters away was achieved when I was the only person in the office, 2am in the morning, and during day time, when there was some kind of 10 clients associated on one AP, I could only get some around 3-5M on wireless, while my internet link usage was just 3-4M.

That what I am trying to address here, my wireless network can give me very good connection, but with increase of distance and clients, the speed dropped way too dramatically than it should be, as I believed.

Scott Fella Sun, 09/07/2014 - 18:11
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 Wireless

Understand... Your better off opening a TAC case so they can look at your configuration and look at other things. It's limited on a forum to troubleshoot with more data. 

Scott

rhienwei2010 Thu, 09/04/2014 - 08:13
User Badges:

tried this, and it didn't help, and it caused more problems

martin.parodi Thu, 09/04/2014 - 08:17
User Badges:

So maybe you have an interference issue, try changing channels or identifing root interference like motors o heavy walls.

Also you culd try using A norm.

What version of WLC are you using? could you use aircleaner?

Daniel Ordóñez ... Thu, 09/04/2014 - 07:41
User Badges:
  • Participante Destacado,

El Favorito: Noviembre 2015

Really weird.

is there any source of interference? maybe a micro, wireless phone, bluethooth ?

Yo can try with Martin option, but is not recommended to set manually your AP's in level 1, because this could cause more interference.

rhienwei2010 Sat, 09/06/2014 - 22:59
User Badges:

don't think it would be a perticular source of intereference.

1) tried at different APs, same resulte, some are far away from the kitchen area

2) I got speed drop when have multiple clients connected as well.

martin.parodi Thu, 09/04/2014 - 08:47
User Badges:

Did you try "debug client MACADDRESS" ? there you can get the power level, the channel and statistic of connection.

Could you connect to the SSID run "debug client MACADDRESS" and move to differents sites testing the connection up to get the error and send it?

Also you could you "show client MACADDRESS" at first and use the same command when you get the error and check the results.

Actions

This Discussion