Views
Helpful
Replies

voice traffic- bandwidth

Anukalp S
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts..

Pls help me in setting up QoS for my company. I have MPLS circuit for my all company locations. Main locations has 60mb MPLS circuit and branch locations has 20mb each. I have CME in my main location to which VOIP phones are registered. Since past few days i have been observing bandwith choke of my main location, due to this calling through VOIP phones from main locations to hub locations are getting drop intermediately.

I am looking to prioritize voice traffic so that other traffic could not make impact on voip calls. I want to assign 10mb bandwith to voice traffic and rest bandwith for others traffic.

Pls help me good way to configure this.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I think it should.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

How QoS might be implemented depends on your equipment, topology and MPLS vendor's support of QoS.  Insufficient information to suggest a good way to configure.

Hi Joseph.

I have terminated MPLS circuit on 2911 router on each locations . I have mesh topology.

Yes MPLS vendor does support QoS. Does this implementation require their involvement too?

Actually users in one of my branch location do uploading/download files on servers in main location.

This cause my mail location bandwidth choke and due to this voice call gets impacted.

Hi Experts..pls help in setting up QoS.

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

Well although you have a mesh, if ALL your traffic is flows hub-and-spoke, you could do QoS w/o MPLS QoS, but the latter does (greatly) simplify it.

With MPLS QoS, get classes for the VoIP bearer traffic,(optionally) VoIP signalling, and default.  Then apply interface QoS to map your VoIP ToS correctly (for MPLS) and have egress QoS define matching queues.

Thanks Joseph.. could you post config example, that would be much appreciated.

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

policy-map sample

class voip-bearer

priority percent 33

class voip-signaling

bandwidth remaining 10 percent

class class-default

bandwidth remaining 90 percent

fair-queue

For above, you need to classify traffic and mark to agree with MPLS QoS support.  Percentages might also be changed to agree with MPLS QoS.

Apply above as an out policy on MPLS egress port.

Thanks Joseph, really helpful. I am a bit confuse about what i need to match under class voip-bearer & voip-signalling. Do i need to match using "match ip dscp ef" or something else.

Also pls let me know, do i need to involve ISP to configure QoS for me at their PE router. OR applying QoS  on CE egress interface is sufficient.

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

Whether you can match on existing ToS markings depends on how your VoIP phones mark (often configurable) and what the network allows (i.e. CoS/ToS markings) up to your WAN router.

Yes, you should be involved with your MPLS vendor as you described you have a mesh.

Thanks Joseph..

I am rather looking o classify based on ACLs. I have all VOIP phone having 10.122.101.0/24 IPs. And seeing classification using ACLs and match this ACL under class-map.

access-list 110 permit ip 10.122.101.0 255.255.255.0 any

class-map voice

match access-group 110

What you suggest, should this work also. 

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

I think it should.

Thanks Joseph.. you were really helpful.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card