Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a small network with around 20 users as follows :

- Main office : 5 users with main router and one switch

- 3 branches -within a 100 meter- connected to the main switch, each branch

has its own switch

All under one : 192.168 subnet ,

My problem is, each time I want to test a switch it goes directly to the default IP (192.168) and return back with a conflict in the screen.

Is there a way to prevent the router from giving a used IP to avoid the conflict??

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Without detailed knowledge of your network, the best thing to do is first to positively identify the DHCP server (if there is one) and set up static DHCP addresses for permanent switches (switches will be "recognised" by MAC address when DHCP request arrives at DHCP server). Alternatively you could give the switches fixed addresses outside the DHCP pool. Either way, the switches need a fixed IP address if you are o manage them remotely (over the LAN)

Then ensure that any device you place on the network is DHCP enabled, so gets a valid address from the DHCP server rather than its own config, or has a static address outside the pool served by the DHCP server

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Rajeev Sharma
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey,

What do you mean by "test a switch"?

Regards,

RS.

The three branches I have are a computer shop, normally the client are asking to test a switch before they buy from the shop, once it is connected to the network, conflict happen.

Any work around?

sounds like one of the switches in your network is running default with the same management address a the switch you test...change the management address of the switches permanently in the network and that may help

Jim

Jim Blake
Level 1
Level 1

Do you mean you get a duplicate IP address? Are you running a combination of DHCP and static addresses? What is a "conflict on the screen" (can we have a screenshot?). Is the router running as a DHCP server, or is there another DHCP (AD?) server in the network?

Sorry for all the questions, but I don't understand the problem. Please give more details and we may be able to help :)

Jim

Yes, duplicate IP I mean it by the conflict, 

Regarding the DHCP, will double check the server (AD) setting , may be the problem comes from there,

Till I get this info, is Cisco routers come with DHCP enabled?

No, routers must be set up to deliver DHCP.

Great,

Then most probably the AD server is acting as a DHCP server,

In such case, should I setup the AD server pool of static IP to avoid any conflict? what is the best scenario?

Without detailed knowledge of your network, the best thing to do is first to positively identify the DHCP server (if there is one) and set up static DHCP addresses for permanent switches (switches will be "recognised" by MAC address when DHCP request arrives at DHCP server). Alternatively you could give the switches fixed addresses outside the DHCP pool. Either way, the switches need a fixed IP address if you are o manage them remotely (over the LAN)

Then ensure that any device you place on the network is DHCP enabled, so gets a valid address from the DHCP server rather than its own config, or has a static address outside the pool served by the DHCP server

sharonccie
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

As of my understanding, u are still keeping the default management ip in your switch. wn u are connecting new switch, that also have the same default management Ip, that get conflict each other. 

Better, change ur switch default Management IP, or Assign that test port to diffrent VLAN

please let me know which switch u are using , i can help you to change the model no

reg

sharon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: