cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does LMS 4.0.1 Support SHA 256?

douglas.mckee
Level 1
Level 1

Under LMS 4.0.1 when I look at devices under credential settings for devices SHA1 is only available. Is there an add-on that needs to be installed to support SHA 256?

4 Replies 4

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Where exactly do you see the SHA settings in LMS?

I can only recall using that setting on the IOS devices themselves when specifying the integrity type for IPsec VPNs or the enable secret password encryption (type 4 - implementation flawed and thus not recommended).

You can of course create cli templates and compliance checks in LMS that use those options.

Under the "Inventory" tab Add/Import/Manage devices. When I select a switch to edit under credential settings the drop down box for SNMPV3 settings only has MD5 and SHA1 options available.

That's because the only SNMP v3 authentication algorithms supported (on either IOS or NX-OS or ASA software) are MD5 and SHA1.

The SNMP v3 encryption algorithms support up to AES-256 (on NX-OS and IOS) and that is selectable in the SNMPv3 credentials settings on LMS.

That applies even on the latest updated Prime LMS Version 4.2(5).

Marvin,

Thank you for the insightful information. Initially searching the web and LMS documentation didn't seem to provide any direct answers to this question.

Doug

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card