Views
Helpful
Replies

Ironport Email Backup on Virtual Restore on physical

guibarati
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Is is possible to backup a Virtual email appliance and restore the configuration on a physical appliance?

Is there any gotcha?

Thank you,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Robert Sherwin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

As long as the version of AsyncOS matches between the vESA and the ESA.  You may need to make modifications to the XML itself for the "ethernet_settings" - as the <ports>, <ethernet_settings>, and <cpq_enabled> tagging in the XML will be different for the vESA vs. ESA configuration.

To work around this - simply SAVE the ESA configuration to your local desktop, and save the vESA configuration as well.  Open side-by-side, I would recommend using Notepad++ (PC) or Atom/Sublime (OSX) to edit the XML.  Copy the <ports> through </ports>, <ethernet_settings> through </ethernet_settings>, and <cpq_enabled> </cpq_enabled> lines of the ESA configuration, and place them in the vESA configuration.  Save the vESA configuration as "new_virtual_configuration" - and use this when loading on the ESA.

*Since you are manually editing the XML - be sure to also edit the IP and hostname values to be the needed values needed for the ESA.

You'll see the success message:

SuccessConfiguration file was loaded. Changes will not take effect until you Commit. Please review network settings before committing the changes.

Commit the changes - and your ESA will now have the vESA configuration.

I hope this helps!

-Robert

(*If you have received the answer to your original question, and found this helpful/correct - please mark the question as answered, and be sure to leave a rating to reflect!)

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Robert Sherwin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

As long as the version of AsyncOS matches between the vESA and the ESA.  You may need to make modifications to the XML itself for the "ethernet_settings" - as the <ports>, <ethernet_settings>, and <cpq_enabled> tagging in the XML will be different for the vESA vs. ESA configuration.

To work around this - simply SAVE the ESA configuration to your local desktop, and save the vESA configuration as well.  Open side-by-side, I would recommend using Notepad++ (PC) or Atom/Sublime (OSX) to edit the XML.  Copy the <ports> through </ports>, <ethernet_settings> through </ethernet_settings>, and <cpq_enabled> </cpq_enabled> lines of the ESA configuration, and place them in the vESA configuration.  Save the vESA configuration as "new_virtual_configuration" - and use this when loading on the ESA.

*Since you are manually editing the XML - be sure to also edit the IP and hostname values to be the needed values needed for the ESA.

You'll see the success message:

SuccessConfiguration file was loaded. Changes will not take effect until you Commit. Please review network settings before committing the changes.

Commit the changes - and your ESA will now have the vESA configuration.

I hope this helps!

-Robert

(*If you have received the answer to your original question, and found this helpful/correct - please mark the question as answered, and be sure to leave a rating to reflect!)

Thank you, I didn't try it yet but it seems a solid approach. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: