cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4500X Upgrade - IOS 3.6.0E Stability

Jeff Deibel
Level 1
Level 1

We're preparing to deploy two 4500X's in VSS running IOS 3.4.4. I'm looking at upgrading to 3.6.0E for some of the new features including Dual-Active Fast Hello.

Is anyone out there running 3.6.0 that could provide some feedback regarding its stability?

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

IOS XE version 3.6.0E is similar to IOS version 15.2(2)E.  

All I can say to you is this:  Test 3.6.0.E very well.  The IOS version 15.2(2)E is one of the most poorly coded IOS I've ever seen.  We "hit" or triggered 4 different Tracebacks/CPU spikes/crashes in the 4 hours of initial testing of 15.2(2)E.  When we hit seven, we stopped our testing.  

amp512_nyph
Level 1
Level 1

No experience with 3.6 train, have been running 3.5.3 for the most part, but there is no ISSU/eFSU upgrade path from 3.4 or 3.5 trains.. I tried in our lab environment on a pair of 4500-X running VSS on 3.5.3E code to 3.6.0E and it failed, but to Cisco's defense, Cisco hasn't published compatibility for  issu/efsu with VSS on this page so I won't take a chance: 

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Catalyst_4500/4900_series_ISSU_compatibility_matrix

I rarely use ISSU/FSU/eFSU because this method seldom works.  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card