Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

SX20 third party mics and Polycom soundstructure c-series

Unanswered Question
Sep 25th, 2014
User Badges:

We are trying to connect a SX20 microphone port to the output of a Polycom soundstructure C12.
I'm wondering if anybody has been successful doing this?

It looks like the SX20 has to be tricked to believe its microphone is connected.
Maybe by sending some power on some pins?

I've seen several example on how to connect powered mics directly to the SX20 but the soundstructure output port is different and the codec keep the port shut when plugging it in.

Has anybody been able to connect a soundstructure or similar device to a SX20?

Thanks

Overall Rating: 5 (3 ratings)
t.svatek Fri, 09/26/2014 - 00:37
User Badges:

Could it be, that you´ve used a 3pin 3,5mm plug instead of the needed 4pin jack? This would shorten the mute pin on SX20.

borisdecout Fri, 09/26/2014 - 09:16
User Badges:

We are using a 4pin 3.5mm and tried almost any wiring combination possible.

When looking at the volume meter under the SX20 admin settings, the volume bar goes dead as soon as you disconnect the SX20 included mic.

We haven't been able to get that volume bar up when plugging to the Soundstructure C12, so it looks like the SX20 does some mic detection test and we are failing it.

I've read somewhere that pin 2 and 3 had to be shorted to trick the SX20 to detect the mic but that didn't work for us.

We are running TC 7.2 .
What version are you running? 
I'm wondering if there is some mic detection code in that version that is tripping us.

Thanks

peter scarola Sat, 12/13/2014 - 05:52
User Badges:

Do NOT use the volume bar status!  Go into the web browser and check audio input levels. There you will see your external miclevels.  Very confusing. Can't believe this is not more published!!!

Aaron Wilson Fri, 09/26/2014 - 11:54
User Badges:

Something else I just realized, why won't audio work with a disconnected mic? If there *is* code doing this, its very bad code. Just because someone unplugs a mic doesn't mean the audio output should be disabled.

borisdecout Fri, 09/26/2014 - 12:05
User Badges:

The audio output of the codec is not disabled, only the mic port is.

What we are trying to do is connect third party ceiling mics.

The Ceiling mics are connected to the soundstructure C12 and the C12 output port connected to the SX20.

We have no issues with the audio output from the SX20.

Aaron Wilson Fri, 09/26/2014 - 12:09
User Badges:

OK, that clears it up. You said volume bar, so I thought you meant the main volume. :)

t.svatek Mon, 09/29/2014 - 02:36
User Badges:

As a test, you  could try to connect a ceiling mic directly to the SX20 using an external phantom power supply or a dynamic microphone to see, if the issue is related to the soundstructure.

peter scarola Tue, 10/07/2014 - 17:54
User Badges:

have you or anyone you know gotten any external mics to work with the sx20?

Shawn Jones Thu, 11/06/2014 - 14:12
User Badges:

Were you able to get this working with the SoundStructure? We are doing something similar with a BiAmp, but to four SX20's.

We have wired the output to the four-position jack, and still get a warning about the mic not being detected.

Thanks in advance!

Aaron Wilson Fri, 09/26/2014 - 04:50
User Badges:

I have connected ClearOne Interact systems to the SX20 with no ill effect. I'm using a male-3.5mm 3 conductor (SX20) to female RCA adapter (ClearOne). Even though its not a 4 conductor 3.5mm, it works just fine.

I do have some 4 conductor connectors, I just haven't soldiered them yet.

grimes.mark Thu, 10/30/2014 - 04:16
User Badges:

Hello

when you say 'turning off HDMI audio' would this be on the input side?

We were only able to get this working with a third party microphone on V7.1.4 by connecting the Cisco microphone to enable microphone input and then using input 2 for the third party microphone.

Thanks

borisdecout Thu, 10/30/2014 - 09:13
User Badges:

On the SX20 under

Settings->Administrator Settings->Advanced Config->Audio->Input->HDM1->Mode Off

Shawn Jones Thu, 11/06/2014 - 15:26
User Badges:

Boris-

Is this still working after recently released software updates from Cisco for the SX?

borisdecout Thu, 11/06/2014 - 16:14
User Badges:

We are running TC7.2.1 and it is still working fine.

If you look under Audio Input Level on the SX20, the Mic is reported as Disconnected for us.
Don't use this as a way to tell if your Mic is working or not.

peter scarola Thu, 11/06/2014 - 16:40
User Badges:

Wow. So you are saying that even though the sx20 microphone level shows as disconnected, audio is passing?  How can I confirm this without a second codec?  I need to hook up a biamp nexia real soon.

Thanks.

borisdecout Thu, 11/06/2014 - 17:22
User Badges:

We use BlueJeans

Dial 199.48.152.152 or bjn.vc (enter meeting ID 111# and # when prompted). You'll see a parrot. Talk to him, and he'll repeat.

The voice is distorted to sound like a parrot I guess. But that will confirm that your Mic is able to transmit.

Actions

This Discussion