Basic 1000v for Hyper-V questions

Unanswered Question
Oct 3rd, 2014
User Badges:

Hi All,

I have a Hyper-V 2012 R2 server (free version of Hyper-V) and I am in the process of deploying the Cisco 1000v virtual switch. I have a few questions, however:

1) My server has a single NIC with 4 uplinks. At the Hyper-V parent OS level, there is an external vSwitch not shared with the OS that uses the public IPs to go directly to the internet. And there is an internal vSwitch which is internal IPs but they are NAT'd via the UTM firewall to get internet connectivity.

The documentation states either 4 NICs with 1 uplink each or 1 NIC with 4 uplinks as a best practise, so I comply with this.

Should the VSM use a native Hyper-V switch and all my other VM's use the Cisco switch? In particular, see:

https://sysctr.nl/2014/05/create-a-configuration-for-the-switch/ 

When I imported the template into SCVMM (2012 R2) and built the VSM, it did not pick up specific VM settings. I am not sure if my NIC configuration is correct, could someone take a screenshot of how this should look?

Lastly, how would I enable promiscous mode and netflow? And how would I setup SPAN ports?

Sorry for all the questions, thanks!

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)

Actions

This Discussion