cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VM Upgrade CUCM 8.6 to 10.5 Question

Lee Matiwane
Level 1
Level 1

My situation slightly different from what is posted here. I have a client that has CUCM 8.6.2 on VM..& would like to Upgrade to CUCM Ver 10.5. What is the steps & easiest route to do this upgrade? A little confused, with posts because this is not a migration but a simple Upgrade in VM environment.

Thanks,

Lee

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

This is simpler than a migration. You can either do it manually or use PCD (prime collaboration deployment). Please refer to this video on how to use PCD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzG4kz1_hL4

You should ensure that you read the upgrade guide in detail. You may need to make changes to your virtual machines, hence read the guide thoroughly. You will also need to make changes to your vm network adapter.

Please refer to a similar thread below. It contains the links for the required documentation

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12242636/cucm-imp-and-cuc-upgrade-version-911-vmware-version-105-vmware

Finally plan for your licenses. This is mentioned in the upgrade doc as well

Please rate all useful posts

View solution in original post

Hi,

You need to download License Count utility from cisco site.

File Name
LCUZIP-Ver9.1.2.zip

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/unified-communications/unified-communications-manager-version-8-6/model.html#~rdtab1

Run on PC from whre Publisher is reachable.the file would be a csv file consiting of CUCM MAC address, IP address,Installed DLU, Used DLU/ Unnused DLUs,user licenses of BASIC/Essential, UCL Enhanced , CUWL standard etc.

Login in Prime License Manager after successfully migrated from 8 to 10

Use the following procedure to generate a license request.
1 Log in to Cisco Prime License Manager.
2 From the Licenses > Fulfillment page, select Generate License Request from the drop-down list under
Other Fulfillment Options.
3 The License Request and Next Steps window appears. Copy the selected text to your clipboard or click
Save it to a file on your PC and send to licensing@cisco.com to get permanent licenses.

regds,

aman

View solution in original post

23 Replies 23

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can either use PCD migration to make this fast and easy and forget all about changing the VM settings and the new MD5, or you can do an inplace upgrade, for which you need to start by reviewing the upgrade guide, release notes, and new and changed documentation for all the steps and considerations you need to take into account for this upgrade, not to mention this is a RU, which means it will take a longer time to complete.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

[+5] to Jaime and AOK.

you can also refer the excellent DOC on this link 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/unified-communications/unified-communications-manager-callmanager/118318-config-cucm-00.html

Once successfully migrated , u can share the LCU [ which needs to be run prior to migrating on 10] along with PLM file generated to licensing team to get permanent licenses.

regds,

aman

Hi,

You need to download License Count utility from cisco site.

File Name
LCUZIP-Ver9.1.2.zip

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/unified-communications/unified-communications-manager-version-8-6/model.html#~rdtab1

Run on PC from whre Publisher is reachable.the file would be a csv file consiting of CUCM MAC address, IP address,Installed DLU, Used DLU/ Unnused DLUs,user licenses of BASIC/Essential, UCL Enhanced , CUWL standard etc.

Login in Prime License Manager after successfully migrated from 8 to 10

Use the following procedure to generate a license request.
1 Log in to Cisco Prime License Manager.
2 From the Licenses > Fulfillment page, select Generate License Request from the drop-down list under
Other Fulfillment Options.
3 The License Request and Next Steps window appears. Copy the selected text to your clipboard or click
Save it to a file on your PC and send to licensing@cisco.com to get permanent licenses.

regds,

aman

I am thinking about doing in place upgrade of my cucm 8.6 clusters (virtualized) without using PCD. I have a few questions that I want to ask you.

- Do I have to change the network adaptor type to vmxnet 3 prior or after the upgrade?

- For the static mac for this adaptor, can i pick any valid digits?

- My existing OVAs are for cucm 8.6 - 7500 users which has the disk size of 80 gb whereas the ova for 10.5 for the same number of users requires 110GB? However, I have about 28 GB free space in common partition in the publisher. So, how do i go with the upgrade? Is there anyway to adjust the disk size without affecting anything including cisco support?

Thank you,

Khanal

All these questions are answered in the cucm 10.5 ova read me file..

Upgrades from previous release:
 1) Power off the VM.
 2) Modify the RAM, CPU, reservations, and OS based on the changes listed above via the vmware-viclient. Note, do not attempt to change the number of disks or disk size.
 3) Modify the Network Adapter.  See “Modifying the Network Adapter” section.
 4) Save the changes
 5) Power back on the VM

You should change the adapter settings before the upgrade..You can do it after too, its just better to do prior to the upgrade.

Download the cucm 10.5 OVA read me file for more details

Thank you so much. 10.5 OVA readme does not mention about the disk space resizing though. Is it required that the disk space be resized to match with 10.5 OVA for 7500 users (my 8.6 ova is for 7500 users). Thank you so  much for your help as always.

Cheers, Khanal

The CUCM 10.5 upgrade does. Documentation is very important. Take some time to read through before you begin. You need to install a cop file then resize your vDisk

Change Virtual Machine Configuration Specifications

Use the following procedure when you need to change the configuration specifications on your virtual machine (VM) in order to upgrade to a new release of Unified Communications Manager or IM and Presence Service. Configuration specifications include the vCPU, vRAM, and vDisk size. For information about VM requirements, see the Readme file with the OVA template that supports your release. Details about OVA templates are available on the Virtualization Docwiki at http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Implementing_Virtualization_Deployments.

Procedure
    Step 1  Perform a Disaster Recovery System (DRS) backup.

For more information about performing a backup, see the Cisco Unified Communications Manager Disaster Recovery Administration Guide.

Step 2  (Optional.) If you need to increase the vDisk space to meet the space requirements of a refresh upgrade, install the following COP file:

ciscocm.vmware-disk-size-reallocation-<latest_version>.cop.sgn

Step 3  Shut down the virtual machine.
    Step 4  Change the configuration of the virtual machine as needed:
    1. Change the Guest OS version to match the requirements of the new release (Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 (64-bit).
    2. To change the vCPU, make the change in vSphere Client. Ensure that you change the reservation value to match the specifications of the new release.
    3. To change the vRAM, make the change in vSphere Client. Ensure that you change the reservation value to match the specifications of the new release.
    4. To increase the vDisk space, edit the disk size using vDisk. If the virtual machine has two disks, expand the second one.

The new space is automatically added to the common partition when you restart the virtual machine.

Note   

You need to change the disk size changes only if you need additional space to complete the upgrade. The disk space requirements are specified in the Readme file for the OVA template.

Expanding the disk size to add space to the common partition will not increase the user capacity of your system. If you need to extend the user capacity of your system, you must migrate from a single-disk to a multi-disk virtual machine; seeReplace a Single Server or Cluster for Cisco Unified Communications Manager for more information

Hi

need urgent clarity on upgrade from 8.6 to 10.5

There are two conflicting statements when i read the readme txt file of 10.5 OVA which says "do not attempt to change the number of vdisk or disk size"

My question is OVA of 8.6 CUCM says 2 X 80 Gb which is my current CUCM

if I want to upgrade to 10.5 which dictates 1 X 110 gb. Now should I really change the number and size of vdisk or not???

Upgrade release notes says what you have commented previously changing the vm settings

Thanks

Chandramauli

Hi

Do we need to resize the VMDisk, i am confused on this

10.5. OVA readme for 7500 users says its not needed to change, however

As per the CUCM upgrade document for version 10.0.1, it says we need to apply this

ciscocm.vmware-disk-size-reallocation-1.0.cop.sgn.

I dont see upgrade guide for 10.5, do i need to apply this. if i apply is it must to reinstall to fix unaligned parition or it wont occur

My present CUCM version in 8.6.2.22900-9 in vmware with 2x80GB (7500 user OVa)

Thanks

Hari

Chandramauli,

Old question but I will answer it. I am sure you already have

• Upgrades from 8.x VMs with 2x80 GB vDisk to 9.1 or higher are not required to change the vDisk. 9.1 and higher will support these two-vDisk options: 2x80 GB and 1x80 GB + 1x110GB (where auto-grow COP was used on second vDisk).

See notes section from 7500 ova on cucm virtualization doc wiki page.

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/uc_system/virtualization/virtualization-cisco-unified-communications-manager.html#7500userVM

Hi Khanal

Im planning upgrade from 8.6 to 10.5 this weekend with exactly the similar situation of having resources for 7500.

Could you tell me how your upgrade happen and did you use PCD or did manual ?

Can you elaborate the changes made in VM resource like did you change to one 1 X 110GB vdisk as per OVA or still you maintained as 2 X  80GB and increased to accommodate the upgrade

Thanks

Chandramauli

You can't resize the disk size on the VM. For your cluster you be supported by Cisco you will need to take a DRS backup after your upgrade and then install a new VM with cucm 10.5 OVA and then do a restore

Khanal

Im literally confused by reading the read me file of 10.5 OVA, some mentioning I shouldnt resize the vdisk etc however the upgrade guide for in place upgrade clearly says go and increase second vdisk in existing VM and then change vmnext 3 adaptor and power up the VM

How exactly did you do the upgrade by changing the VM settings of vdisk?

Let me know as I have upgrade in two days

Thanks

Chandramauli

Ayodeji Okanlawon
    VIP Alumni
    VIP Alumni

This is simpler than a migration. You can either do it manually or use PCD (prime collaboration deployment). Please refer to this video on how to use PCD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzG4kz1_hL4

You should ensure that you read the upgrade guide in detail. You may need to make changes to your virtual machines, hence read the guide thoroughly. You will also need to make changes to your vm network adapter.

Please refer to a similar thread below. It contains the links for the required documentation

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12242636/cucm-imp-and-cuc-upgrade-version-911-vmware-version-105-vmware

Finally plan for your licenses. This is mentioned in the upgrade doc as well

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: