Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 5760 password recovery or factory reset

qualxarnu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

Recently I got Cisco WLC 5760 to configure and I have a little problem with it, becasue previusly someone else was doing some test configurations on it and now I cannot access to the controller, becasue it has username and password which I don't know.

Is there a way to recover that password or reset whole configuration to factory defaults ? I found some solutions in the internet where you can enter commands like Password-Recovery or Restore-Config as a username, but that doesn't work. It's probably becasue the IOS on the controller is newer. If someone know how to do it, I will be grateful for sharing such knowledge with me.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi

Here is the password recovery procedure (page 243-245) of the below config guide

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/5700/software/release/3e/consolidated/configuration-guide/b_multi_3e_5700_cg.pdf

Recovering from a Lost or Forgotten Password
The default configuration for the switch allows an end user with physical access to the switch to recover from a lost password by interrupting the boot process during power-on and by entering a new password. These recovery procedures require that you have physical access to the switch.

1. Connect a terminal or PC to the switch.
2. Set the line speed on the emulation software to 9600 baud.
3. Power off the standalone switch or the entire switch stack.
4. Reconnect the power cord to the or the . Within 15 seconds, press the Mode button while the System LED is still flashing green. Continue pressing the Mode button until all the system LEDs turn on and remain solid; then release the Mode button.

Ignore the startup configuration with the following command:
Controller: SWITCH_IGNORE_STARTUP_CFG=1

Boot the switch with the packages.conf file from flash.
Controller: boot flash:packages.conf

Terminate the initial configuration dialog by answering No.
Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog? [yes/no]: No

At the switch prompt, enter privileged EXEC mode.
Controller> enable
Switch#

Copy the startup configuration to running configuration.
Controller# copy startup-config running-config Destination filename [running-config]?

Enter global configuration mode and change the enable password.
Controller# configure terminal
Controller(config)#

5. After recovering the password, reload the switch or the .
6. Power on the remaining switches in the stack

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hi

Here is the password recovery procedure (page 243-245) of the below config guide

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/5700/software/release/3e/consolidated/configuration-guide/b_multi_3e_5700_cg.pdf

Recovering from a Lost or Forgotten Password
The default configuration for the switch allows an end user with physical access to the switch to recover from a lost password by interrupting the boot process during power-on and by entering a new password. These recovery procedures require that you have physical access to the switch.

1. Connect a terminal or PC to the switch.
2. Set the line speed on the emulation software to 9600 baud.
3. Power off the standalone switch or the entire switch stack.
4. Reconnect the power cord to the or the . Within 15 seconds, press the Mode button while the System LED is still flashing green. Continue pressing the Mode button until all the system LEDs turn on and remain solid; then release the Mode button.

Ignore the startup configuration with the following command:
Controller: SWITCH_IGNORE_STARTUP_CFG=1

Boot the switch with the packages.conf file from flash.
Controller: boot flash:packages.conf

Terminate the initial configuration dialog by answering No.
Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog? [yes/no]: No

At the switch prompt, enter privileged EXEC mode.
Controller> enable
Switch#

Copy the startup configuration to running configuration.
Controller# copy startup-config running-config Destination filename [running-config]?

Enter global configuration mode and change the enable password.
Controller# configure terminal
Controller(config)#

5. After recovering the password, reload the switch or the .
6. Power on the remaining switches in the stack

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Thank you, it helped :)

Good to see that helped.

Rasika

Helpful.

Thanks guy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: