Views
Helpful
Replies

Voice & Data VLAN Implementation

soiser2014
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have recently purchased an asterisk based IP PBX, it is hosted in-house which uses Grandstream IP GXP1405 Phones.  We have configured and installed. we are able to receive calls and dial out.  Unfortunately our infrastructure was not up to par with the PBX.  We purchased an SG300 20 port switch, with two RV320 VPN Dual Wan Routers.  We have a total of 4 offices.  this is the current setup:

HQ 1 - Asterisk Based IP PBX, RV320 VPN router, & SG300

HQ2 - RV320 VPN Router

Office 1 - Simple Linksys Router

Office 2 - Simple Linksys Router

We have established connectivity using the Tunnels incorporated onto the RV320 Routers, so we are able to connect to the HQ locations.

However since the RV320 has dual WAN setup's, we have now have 2 Internet Connections independent from each other.  Our goal is to perform the following: 

WAN 1 = to be used for Data Traffic

WAN 2 = to be used for Voice Traffic

We would like to do this by separating the VLAN's and directing the traffic from one VLAN to a specific WAN using the equipment above.

We are having issues establishing the voice VLAN and redirecting the traffic once created.

Any help would be appreciated it.

Thanks,

3 Replies 3

Mehdi Boukraa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Soiser,

My name is Mehdi from Cisco Technical Support, 

For the Voice & Data VLAN Implementation we can manage to do it with different way :

First example hard coding the voice vlan
-------------------------------------------------------

1. we can have the switch Layer 2
2. Configure on the switch Vlan Data and Vlan voice (in this example will have Vlan 1 Data and 100 is Voice vlan) --> under Vlan management --> Create Vlan
3. Configure the port from where the switch is connected to the Router and change it to Trunk port and add vlan voice (until here we made the data traffic as untagged traffic and voice traffic as tagged) by going under Vlan managemnent --> Port Vlan Membership --> select port 20 --> click on join vlan --> by default you have 1UP in the right so now select vlan 100 and select Tagged and move it to the right
4. And the same trunk port with both vlan for all the port on the switch where you have voice and data
5. here we done with the switch

Second Using Auto-voice Vlan implementation 
---------------------------------------------------------------

1. We Can have the switch also layer 2
2. we need to configure the AUTO-Voice Vlan under vlan management--Voice Vlan --> Properties by changing the voice vlan 100 and we have two option to choose
       Dynamic Voice VLAN: Enable Auto Voice VLAN OR  Enable Telephony OUI :  the difference is when you have Cisco Phone enable                                 auto-voice vlan and the phone will take all the informations like (Vlan ,..) via CDP protocol
       if you have 3rd part Phone select Enable Telephony OUI and configure the first 3 bits of the MAC address of the phones by going under voice                 vlan -->Telephony OUI --> add 3 bits of the MAC address of the phone but not for all the phones is by model remember first 3 bits of mac
            address is the model of the device!

Auto Voice VLAN Activation: select "Immediate"

3. and enable telephony OUI interface  

-------> We didn't configure voice vlan the switch will assign voice vlan to the phones when they connect to the switch by CDP or Telephony OUI

Now going to the router :
----------------------------------

- By default RV320 Has Vlan ID 100 with subnet 192.168.3.1 so we can change only the ip address of vlan interface or if you deleted by some reason we will need to create a voice vlan by going to Setup-->Network--> multiple Subnet Table --> Create the Vlan interface in my example i will put 10.10.10.1 and mask 255.255.255.0
- Just to check if you going to port management --> Vlan Membership you will see vlan 1 is untagged and vlan voice is tagged this also in our switch !! you can connect the switch from any port of the router since all of them are the same
- if you wantr to change and coding only port 4 for example as trunk and remove other port the voice vlan you can 

---> Now should work the voice vlan and data vlan 

But we have two WAN and you want to bind the WAN 1 to Data and Wan 2 to Voice

we need to configure Protocol Binding

under System management --> Dual WAN --> Protocol Binding 

there we can choose all traffic , source IP (voice network 10.10.10.1 - 10.10.10.254) , destination 1.0.0.1 to 223.255.255.254, and select WAN 2

and another rule but the source will be the data network and select WAN 1

This is it just example and how the Voice vlan work and how to use Protocol binding if you have two WAN 

Please if you have the switch on L3 by some reason and you have SVI configured in the switch , please call the Cisco Technical Support Center we will be happy to help you to accomplish your need with layer 3 switch is almost the same few change and we need more information's from your topology that's why by phone is better !! :)

Please rate the post or mark as answered to help other Cisco Customers

Have a nice day
Regards

Mehdi

Thank you Mehdi,

I'll be working on the steps above and provide my findings tomorrow.

Regards,

Hello, 

I was able to configure all of the settings above and it has worked fine. Thank you very much.

I had one question, I've been trying to separate the traffic that goes to the internet so that it goes via WAN 2 which already has a tunnel setup for it.  I'd like for this one to remain exclusively for interoffice connectivity.

I'd like to have the other WAN 1 to be exclusive for all voice communications.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X