cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 877W acting a a DNS server. Does it answer external DNS queries coming from the WAN

jared.j01
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a Cisco 877W running on my ADSL2+ service at home.

It is setup to act as a DNS server to answer DNS queries for my LAN and has the below commands as part of its configuration

ip dns server

!

ip dhcp pool LAN
   network 192.168.2.0 255.255.255.0
   default-router 192.168.2.254
   dns-server 8.8.8.8

My question is, when I scan my WAN IP for open ports, port 53 (DNS) is open. Does this mean my router will be acting as a DNS server for anyone on the internet who directs DNS queries to my WAN IP?

If so, am I able to turn off port 53 towards the Internet, or do I need to add an an access-list to only accept queries from my internal network.

Thanks for your feedback.

3 Replies 3

ghostinthenet
Level 7
Level 7

That's correct. The "ip dns server" command will answer queries on any interface.

Given that your DHCP server is telling your clients to use Google DNS and not your router, I would just turn the router's DNS server off with the "no ip dns server" command.

Setting up an ACL (and/or inspection or zone-based firewalling) on your Internet-facing interface is the best practice to protect your network in general, not just to prevent external DNS queries.

Thanks very much for your reply.

I have disabled the router to be a DNS server and now the port is closed when I check using a website port scanner.

Will investigate ACL's/firewalls etc for general safety too.

Thanks again.

I'm glad I could be of help.

If you found the information useful, I would appreciate it if you would mark it as correct and rate it accordingly.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card