Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade 8.6.2 to 10.x

please clarify , I have a Customer using 8.6.2 in Virtulized environment, the initial deployment of 8.6.2 was not done by using ova's, so if i  do refresh upgrade, i think it will result into "ERROR-UNSUPPORTED" Partition Unaligned....

The Question is can i deploy new 10.x Ova's for CUCM-PUB,CUCM-SUB1,CUCM-SUB2 and CUP-SUB and use PCD to do migration from Old Cluster to New Cluster with same IP Address and Host names, is Customer  eligible to have new Images of 10.x or he will get only upgrade images which can't be used to migrate?

If i am doing migration by deploying ISO images in Fresh_install directory of PCD, can i use the same upgrade images which i downloaded using PUT for upgrade.

The customer has all UCSS Contract and ESW Contract

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

A few notes about Anthony's post:

2.  Actually, if you build a migration task in PCD to upgrade from 8.6.2 to 10.x, the 1st item in the migration task is to shutdown the source node and install the destination node.  When you build the Migration Task, you choose a Simple Migration, meaning that you plan to keep all the same networking info, including IP Addresses.

4.  If you migrate from 8.6.2 to 10.x, you will do a migration task, and this will look for IOS files in the fresh_install folder

5. You can get the Bootable ISO files if you get the images through Cisco PUT

View solution in original post

Thank you for the clarification on those points.  Much appreciated.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Anthony Holloway
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You have quite a few things going on in your question, so forgive me if I miss something.

1. Unaligned partitions are corrected after a migration and you simply DRS backup, build from scratch, DRS restore.
  2. You can use PCD to migrate from old to new while keeping the same hostname/IP.  PCD will have a pause step in its sequence so you can power down the old servers before it finishes and boots the new servers.
  3. Customers with active ESW and UCSS contracts can download the latest and greatest software.
  4. You can only use the Fresh_install directory on PCD if you are deploying a new cluster.  PCD will not allow you to use Fresh_install for migrations.
  5. An upgrade image, in the context of your comment, will not be bootable and therefore cannot be used to perform a fresh install.  The word Bootable will be at the beginning of the file name if it can be used for fresh installs.

A few notes about Anthony's post:

2.  Actually, if you build a migration task in PCD to upgrade from 8.6.2 to 10.x, the 1st item in the migration task is to shutdown the source node and install the destination node.  When you build the Migration Task, you choose a Simple Migration, meaning that you plan to keep all the same networking info, including IP Addresses.

4.  If you migrate from 8.6.2 to 10.x, you will do a migration task, and this will look for IOS files in the fresh_install folder

5. You can get the Bootable ISO files if you get the images through Cisco PUT

Thank you for the clarification on those points.  Much appreciated.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: