Views
Helpful
Replies

Out of Band Solutions

Patrick McHenry
Level 3
Level 3

Hey -

I want to look at some out-of-band management solutions for our Primary and remote sites. Of course I will start my own research - just want to get some ideas from the you guys - point me in a productive direction.

Open to all ideas/ architecture - big and small...I have some $ to play with.

For instance: a Dominion SX 32 connected to all of the network gear at the sites and a POTS line for the WAN connectivity?

What options are out there?

Thanx - Pat

5 Replies 5

michael o'nan
Level 4
Level 4

At the site I like Digi CM or Avocent. You can find these for really cheap on eBay if you would consider a used solution. For a POTS line I like to use Zoom Telephonics H08-03328-DG.

Thanks Michael for the products...the both seem like good options

I'm also looking for an idea of how to accomplish this as far as the remote access via a phone line and keeping it secure. How does one dial into a remote device like a Avocent when laptops don't come with modems anymore.

Thanks

Typically I'll get a small desktop and load a version of Linux to sit in one of the data centers. Then I use a USB Modem and plug in to a POTS line at the DC. SSH to the box either locally within the enterprise or over VPN when needed and use it as a dialer to the sites.

Michael - Kind of new to this sort of thing.

Wouldn't it be better to terminate the line to a terminal server and have the terminal server connect to all the network equipment via console cables?

Also, I would like to be able to dial in from a laptop on my home network if possible....no VPN'd to the HQ. Because what good would the OOB management be if it relied on the HQ network?

And how would I keep these modem connections secure? Anyone could dial into a telephone number, right?

Thank you

hi,

we use uplogix for our OOB.

we used the 5000 box with POTS port.

http://www.uplogix.com/products/out-of-band-management.php#.VEnHb1ckIUo

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card