cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5510 - possible to bridge 2 interfaces in routed mode

andrewhenry1
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco ASA 5510 with the Security Plus License, running version 9.1(5) in routed mode.

I would like to bridge two interfaces e.g.: eth0/2 and eth0/3 and configure as one IP address / one network while leaving the ASA 5510 in routed mode. I know this is possible in transparent mode, but I need to keep this in routed mode. I know I could configure one interface and connect a switch but my client does not want to do this. 

Failing this, my only thought would be to configure each interface eth0/2 and eth0/3 as a separate subnet network and route traffic between both.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Andrew

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Andrew

It would help us to give you better answers if we understood more about what you and your client want to accomplish. But to answer the specific question that you asked, I do not believe that it is possible in an ASA5510 in routed mode to configure Eth2 and Eth3 to share a single IP address.

What would connect to Eth2 and what would connect to Eth3? Are they really the same subnet?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Andrew

It would help us to give you better answers if we understood more about what you and your client want to accomplish. But to answer the specific question that you asked, I do not believe that it is possible in an ASA5510 in routed mode to configure Eth2 and Eth3 to share a single IP address.

What would connect to Eth2 and what would connect to Eth3? Are they really the same subnet?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Richard,

I am sorry as I meant to reply much sooner, but you are correct - it is not possible in an ASA5510 in routed mode to configure Eth2 and Eth3 to share a single IP address. This was also confirmed by Cisco TAC, but my workaround worked well by configuring interface eth0/2 and eth0/3 as a separate subnet network and route traffic between both.

Thanks again!

Andrew

Thanks for posting back to the forum and confirming that you have it working and that bridging the interfaces is not supported. Thanks for using the rating system to mark this question as answered.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: