cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Redistribution ( ospf, rip , eigrp , static )

elgharbaouy
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone!

I'm a trainee in networks, and i had an exercice of routing protocols and a static route OSPF, EIGRP , RIP, et Static. (I tried to do the redistribution between the LANs but it doesn't work for me, my ping command fails ), i tried to look for some usefull commands on google but i didn't find a solution.

I need your help please, i want to have a solution with commands on each router.

I'm using  Packet Tracer version 6.1.1 student.

this is my PKT workhttps://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1_v47dz4SKFRDU1SlZQMTZtMGs

and this is a screenshot https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1_v47dz4SKFNVdPRVA5SzdwZzg

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Your distribution points are the routers that will run multiple protocols. From this it looks like the routers in the middle (can't see their names) are your redistribution points. I won't tell you the answer completely, but let's use the EIGRP network. On the router that's running eigrp 200 and ospf 10, you'll do dual redistribution:

router eigrp 200

redistribute ospf 1 metric 1 1 1 1 1

router ospf 1

redistribute eigrp 200 subnets

The router will share the eigrp learned routes with the ospf routers in area 20. You'll do this on the other two routers with redistributing between the appropriate protocols. After this, you'll be able to ping everywhere...

Unless I'm missing something, you can have a single ospf area that is not area 0 and still have it work. Once you have more than one area, you're required to have an area 0 in order for routes to travel across the backbone. In other words, if you have this area 20 (which is the only one I see at the moment), and you add an area 40 later, you won't be able to get routes from area 40 to 20 without an area 0...does that make sense?

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

View solution in original post

Rating as resolved is good enough :) Glad I could help

I'm a network engineer like all of the rest of us..just a normal guy :)

View solution in original post

20 Replies 20

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Your distribution points are the routers that will run multiple protocols. From this it looks like the routers in the middle (can't see their names) are your redistribution points. I won't tell you the answer completely, but let's use the EIGRP network. On the router that's running eigrp 200 and ospf 10, you'll do dual redistribution:

router eigrp 200

redistribute ospf 1 metric 1 1 1 1 1

router ospf 1

redistribute eigrp 200 subnets

The router will share the eigrp learned routes with the ospf routers in area 20. You'll do this on the other two routers with redistributing between the appropriate protocols. After this, you'll be able to ping everywhere...

Unless I'm missing something, you can have a single ospf area that is not area 0 and still have it work. Once you have more than one area, you're required to have an area 0 in order for routes to travel across the backbone. In other words, if you have this area 20 (which is the only one I see at the moment), and you add an area 40 later, you won't be able to get routes from area 40 to 20 without an area 0...does that make sense?

HTH,

John

Thank you John for your quick response .

the problem is not answered yet( i just hit the botton because of a mistake )

this is exactly what i've done on my routers.

This is the configuration i made after the activation of the protocols and adding the networks to them, and the creation of static routes .

- the router that share RIPv2 and OSPF 10 :

config#router ospf 10

config-route#redistribute rip subnets

config-route#exit

config#router rip

config-route#redistribute ospf 10

-The router that share OSFP 10 and EIGRP 200 :

config#router ospf 10

config-route#redistribute eigrp 200 subnets

config-route#exit

config#router eigrp 200

config-route#redistribute ospf 10 metric 10000 100 255 1 1500  ( //default values)

config-route#exit

-the router that share the static and the ospf 10 :

config#router ospf 10

config-route#redistribute static subnets

config-route#redistribute connected subnets

But the ping still doesn't work

RIP requires a metric, so in your first example, change it to:

router rip

redistribute ospf 10 metric 2

The rest of it looks correct....

You also need to make sure that you have the routes from the respective protocol. For example, your routing table should have eigrp routes if it has an eigrp neighbor. Redistribution only works if a route that matches the protocol is in the routing table.

Oh John you are genius i forgot the metric 2 :)

thank you a lot.

i have one problem now : The ping doesn't work between the static and eigrp , and the static and the rip.

Do i have to add something the (static-ospf) router ?

Can you post the routing table from the static/ospf router along with the static routes and ospf configuration? Also, can you post the result from "show ip ospf database extern"?

Thanks!

ok , give me a moment please

Here is the the ospf/static routing tabe, and the ospf database extern.

They're in the database. Let's do this one site at a time then. Let's work with the eigrp/ospf router. From that router, can you post:

sh ip eigrp topolo

sh ip route

sh ip ospf database exter

sh ip ospf neigh brie

Also, do you have a default route on all of the routers in the "Static" area?

here is the results of the commands.

Okay....let's focus on the 192.168.64.0/22 route. The route shows to be connected on the static/ospf router. The route is in the routing table on the ospf/eigrp router. Can you post the routing table from one of the internal eigrp routers?

Can you try to ping that address from one of your hosts? All hosts should have a default route pointing to their respective router. I don't see a default route on any of your routers that you have. The router will drop unknown traffic if it doesn't have a default route to send the traffic to.

HTH,

John

the ping on this network 192.168.64.0/22 works without creating a static route, because it's directly connected to the ospf/static router

it's normal because the ospf protocol will share all the connected networks to that router.

the issues is between the network 192.168.68.0/23 and rip area, and 192.168.68.0/23 and the eigrp area. the same for the network 209.165.200.224/27

do i have to add those commands ?

ospf/eigrp config#ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.77.1

ospf/rip config#ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0  192.168.77.5

192.168.68.0/23 config#ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.77.9

209.165.200.224/27 config#ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 209.165.200.225

Yes...that will resolve any unknown routes.

Hello, I'm also studying for my CCNA and Im doing some labs in Packet tracer. I have RIP2 network and EIGRP network, all computers in those networks can ping each other, so the routing is good. Now I wanted to connect this two networks so I created router in the middle (CORE router) that should redistribute traffic between networks. I enabled RIp2 and EIGRP on Core router and I followed instructions for redistribution, so I typed this commands:

router eigrp 1

redistribute rip metric 1024 0 255 1 1500

network 10.0.0.0

no auto-summary

!

router rip

redistribute eigrp 1 metric 1

network 10.0.0.0

network 172.30.0.0

network 192.168.13.0

no auto-summary

!

All computers in RIP 2 network can see Core router, all computers in EIGRP network can see Core router, but they cant see each other. 

When I type show ip route it looks like EIGRP network can see RIP2 network, but not vice versa.

So it looks like EIGRP router and Core router learned all routes, but RIP2 router didnt. Obviously I messed something with redistribution.

Please help. Thank you in advance.

In attachment you can see how my lab looks like.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco

Ā