Views
Helpful
Replies

Etherchannel

kabeer350
Level 1
Level 1

dear sir

i have two links in my  switch 2960,3750 first fiber and second point to point link. Can i make etherchannel between them and which one layer two or layer three etherchannel? plz help me 

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You should be able to mix them in either L2 or L3. Depends on what you're needing. They need to be the same speed and duplex though... You wouldn't be able to do 100Mb connection with a 1gb fiber, but if both are 1gb, you should be able to...

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

View solution in original post

As long as they're both negotiated at 1gb/full, you should be fine... The transfer speeds of the devices connected are what they are, but the etherchannel isn't dependent on that.

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You should be able to mix them in either L2 or L3. Depends on what you're needing. They need to be the same speed and duplex though... You wouldn't be able to do 100Mb connection with a 1gb fiber, but if both are 1gb, you should be able to...

HTH,

John

dear john

Both switch support 1gb port but data transfer speed are different like fiber optic data transfer speed 70 to 80Mb and radio link support 60 to 70 Mb is there any issue to make etherchannel ?

As long as they're both negotiated at 1gb/full, you should be fine... The transfer speeds of the devices connected are what they are, but the etherchannel isn't dependent on that.

Thanks a lot John

one last question

layer 2 etherchannel better or layer 3 etherchannel in LAN switch

It depends on how you're going to use it. If you're wanting to cover failover between switches, then L2 would be the way that I would go. If you need to route between devices, you should do L3. You'll have an ip address on your Po interface that you can use for routing on L3 whereas you won't have a L3 interface associated to a L2 etherchannel. It would still protect with failover due to the fact that you have more than one link in the channel.

hi

yesterday i try to make layer 2 etherchannel when i provide encapsulation dot1 q in cisco 2960 switch it not accept on the other side  cisco 3560 accept this command.

Second when all configuration has been done the cisco 2960 switch etherchannel  one time  up and goes down state like this (d) and other side 3560 show suspended  like  (s)

plz can you send ether channel and trunk commands which i see where i do mistake

You won't have the encapsulation command if the switch doesn't support both isl and dot1q. The newer switches only support dot1q, so there was no need to tell the port what the encapsulation type was.

The ports in the group that you want to configure need to be configured exactly the same. This would include the same speed/duplex, same vlans, etc. Once you have those requirements, you could use the range command to get into those interfaces:

int range fa0/1 - 2

channel-group 1 mode active

You'd do the same thing on the other side as well. To keep the etherchannel from going into a suspended state, you can shut both ports down while configuring them until you get the other side done. After that, you can bring them up.

HTH,

John

thanks john i try again to make ether channel 

dear john

if possible vlan 3 communication with vlan 1 with out inter vlan routing

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking here, but you can't talk between vlans without something routing for them: either the L3 switch or a router. You'll need intervlan routing to communicate between different vlans.

Cisco sg 300  16 port support ether channel or not  ?

Yes, but they're called LAG (Logical Aggregation Groups). It's a different OS than standard Cisco switches. I believe it uses vxWorks.

hi John

I need help about Cisco switch 2960 issue how i give IP address gateway in switch if there more than two vlan  and how configure  telnet command 

plz help me 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card