Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

LAP1142 with different regulatory domains on each wireless

Unanswered Question
Oct 29th, 2014
User Badges:

Hi, I wonder if anyone has come across this before:

We've seen an AIR-LAP1142-E-K9 wireless access point - one of a batch on the pre-used market although I understand that they have been simply removed from the original user - where the regulatory domain on each of the radios is different.

The 2.4GHz radio is 802.11bg:-E and the 5GHz radio is 802.11a:-A (as reported by the controller).

This is really strange as the AP shows itself to be the Product/Model Number             : AIR-LAP1142N-E-K9

And the radio circuit board contains the circuitry for both radios so it's not that the wrong board has been installed for the A radio.

I don't know the software version that is running on the controller - and I've tried a bug search but that hasn't turned up anything useful (yet).

Has anyone here seen anything like this or offer any explanation?

Thanks in advance

Robin

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Scott Fella Wed, 10/29/2014 - 08:18
User Badges:
  • Super Silver, 17500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 Wireless

That is not right.  If you look at the model number on the sticker on the bottom of the AP, that sticker will tell you what regulatory domain that AP is built for.

Scott

robinwenham Wed, 10/29/2014 - 09:41
User Badges:

I know it is not right.  I don't have the AP in front of me, but the information given to me says that the AP reports that it is built for -E-  however on the WLC it reports -E on the one radio and -A on the other - see the attachment.

Leo Laohoo Wed, 10/29/2014 - 19:19
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

That's not where to look for the Regulatory Domain of your AP.  

Go to Monitor > Summary > All APs > Detail.  

Choose the AP and go to Inventory tab.  First line, Product ID, should tell you what the Regulatory Domain of your AP.

Scott Fella Wed, 10/29/2014 - 19:39
User Badges:
  • Super Silver, 17500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 Wireless

Netherland is -E per this doc:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/aironet-1300-s...

why you have an AP with different radios, I don't know, because the sticker is what comes from the factory and is suppose to have those radios for that regulatory domain.  Maybe someone swapped the radios:)

Scott

robinwenham Fri, 10/31/2014 - 03:02
User Badges:

That's what I thought, Scott, but I've had one of these to pieces and both radios are driven from the one circuit board...

I did wonder if there was a bug in the firmware level on the WLC but I don't have access to it to check.  Especially since others from the same batch are reported to have worked without problems - we ourselves have had some - and they are reported to have worked fine in their original installation (these are pre-owned units).

Oh well, I guess this will remain a mystery.  Thanks to everyone who replied.

Robin

Actions

This Discussion