Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA Standby Firewall Requirements

Saeedullah Khan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have ASA 5510 firewall with security Plus bundle license is running in our production environment and i am now buying another box for Standby Firewall so as per my understanding the standby should be same as the active one firewall.

Below are the specs that running in our existing environment

1. ASA 5510 Firewall (Security Plus Bundle License, 1 GB RAM, 256 MB Flash)

And buying same replica of above with security bundle license, 1 GB RAM, 256 MB Flash.

My question is, is there anything else that i am missing for standby firewall?

Regards,

Saeed

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ASA failover partners must have the same number?

By this i am assuming you are refering to the same number of interfaces.  these interfaces also need to be of the same type.  so you can not have one ASA with 4 Gig interfaces and the other with 2 Gig interfaces.  Or you can but you will not be able to use failover for 2 of the interfaces on the ASA with 4 Gig interfaces.  Likewise, if both ASAs have 4 interfaces but one ASA has 4 Gig interfaces while the other has 4 Fastethernet interfaces, then this would not be supported.

--

Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

--

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hi Aref,

Thanks for the reply.

Can you please specify this sentence in more details.

****ASA failover partners must have the same number?

Regards,

Saeed

ASA failover partners must have the same number?

By this i am assuming you are refering to the same number of interfaces.  these interfaces also need to be of the same type.  so you can not have one ASA with 4 Gig interfaces and the other with 2 Gig interfaces.  Or you can but you will not be able to use failover for 2 of the interfaces on the ASA with 4 Gig interfaces.  Likewise, if both ASAs have 4 interfaces but one ASA has 4 Gig interfaces while the other has 4 Fastethernet interfaces, then this would not be supported.

--

--
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: