cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Max clients - CISCO Aeronet 1142 - expand capacity

Nickc2020
Level 1
Level 1

I have a CISCO AIR-AP1142N-A-K9 setup in a small office environment.  I am having issues with clients dropping or being unable to connect when the office fills up...so I'm pretty confident it is capacity-related.  There is only the single device providing coverage.  Questions:

What are the max-client, max active users numbers for this device?

Is there an easy/cheap way to expand it?...I don't need to go beyond 75 users in one location, on one floor (contiguous space).

Thanks!

-Nick

4 Replies 4

Hi Nick,

Below thread should answer to your question (ie 200 per radio), But practially you do not want to have that may clients to a single AP/radio. I would consider 2-3 AP if that many users are at a given location.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11320491/number-users-1142n-access-point

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
What are the max-client, max active users numbers for this device?

No quick answer.  

This often-asked question can be answered by the type of wireless traffic involved.   Cisco's rule-of-thumb has been 25 wireless clients per AP.  However, if you are saying it's mostly emails, web, IM, etc. then you are looking at something in the range of 35 wireless clients.  If you are talking about HD video traffic then the number drops down to about 5 wireless clients per AP.  

Now, here's the other side of the coin ... The "number of clients per AP" is severely dependent upon the link between your AP to your switch to your WLC.  

Thanks for the replies.  I'm seeing an inability to connect/dropped connections at 42-44 clients (as measured via the web console).  What they're all doing is a ???...but it's beyond email...but less that HD video :-)

So this is an standalone setup...if I need immediate relief, what's my best route.  I don't need to scale beyond 75 in the next 2-3yrs.

-Nick

ps - the built-in web console really doesn't provide much in the way of transparency...I assume you have to buy the controller for another $500...

I would consider adding one more autonomous AP. 

If you could afford for a 2504 WLC then it would be much better :)

HTH

Rasika

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card