Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 871 Routers

Paul Smith
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

This series of routers has a built in switch. I understand that to enable routing the switch ports must become part of a configured vlan on fe0,fe1,fe2 and fe3. Fe4 does not have a layer 2 port and is layer 3 only. On the device fe4 is clearly labelled 'WAN'. My question is, to enable routing from the LAN out to the WAN, must I create a virtual connection from the vlan to fe4? Would this involve configuring the dot1q protocol on fe4 or possibly a trunking command? If this were a seperate physical router and switch, all I would need to do is plug the switch in to the router with a physical cable. I guess I need to work out how to do this virtually.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I'm not sure I understand your question. The vlan interface on the router will have the lan side address. The WAN interface will either have a statically assigned public address or it will get an address from dhcp from your provider (if you're connecting it directly to the ISP). The only thing that you would really have to configure outside of that is going to be your default gateway and nat. You don't have to configure encapsulation on FE4.

Think of it this way. Your vlan interface on the router is effectively bridging all of the switchports on the router. Any port that you connect to will be part of vlan 1. VLAN 1's ip address becomes the default gateway for the devices connected to it.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I'm not sure I understand your question. The vlan interface on the router will have the lan side address. The WAN interface will either have a statically assigned public address or it will get an address from dhcp from your provider (if you're connecting it directly to the ISP). The only thing that you would really have to configure outside of that is going to be your default gateway and nat. You don't have to configure encapsulation on FE4.

Think of it this way. Your vlan interface on the router is effectively bridging all of the switchports on the router. Any port that you connect to will be part of vlan 1. VLAN 1's ip address becomes the default gateway for the devices connected to it.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Paul Smith
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for clarifying. Looks like I was way over-analyzing. :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: