cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ping from one switch to another

omw214001
Level 1
Level 1

I am new at this so Im sorry in advance. I have created Vlan 20 on Sw 1 and Vlan 10 on switch 4. Both with ip address in the same subnet. I cannot however seem to ping. What should I be taking into consideration? Both switches are Catalyst 3750. I'm quite lost, I would appreciate any help.

3 Replies 3

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You have two different vlans. You should put both switches in the same vlan and keep the addressing the same. Then under the interfaces that connect the switches, change them to either access ports for vlan 20 (for example), or trunk the port (more common).

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Thank you! Is there not a way to keep them in different vlans and be able to ping however?

Yes you can...both are 3750? You'll need to enable routing on at least one of them because you have to have something route for the vlan. On the routing one, you would configure both vlans. On the other you'd have just the one:

Routing 3750:

ip routing

int vlan 10

ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.0

int vlan 20

ip address 20.20.20.1 255.255.255.0

int f0/1 <--- Connects to switch 2

switchport mode trunk (trunks all vlans by default)

On other switch:

int vlan 20

ip address 20.20.20.2 255.255.255.0

int fa0/1 <--- Connects to switch 1

switchport mode trunk

That should do it. Technically, your 3750 that's routing will not be in a separate vlan. The only way to have them totally separated would be to have a router. You have to have a L3 device to route between vlans. Oh, and make sure you created both of those vlans on the routing switch and then create the single vlan on the second one.

HTH,
John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card