Replies

File transfer problem during ISE 1.3 upgrade

r.westman
Level 1
Level 1

We have problem running the upgrade command:

iseadm01/admin# application upgrade cleanup

Application upgrade preparation directory cleanup successful
iseadm01/admin# application upgrade prepare ise-upgradebundle-1.2.x-to-1.3.0.876.x86_64.tar.gz FTP

Getting bundle to local machine...
% File transfer error
iseadm01/admin#

The sniffertrace shows that the ISE 1.2 is sending TCP RST after about 30MB file transfer. If we run the command serveral times, it stops exactly after the same amount of transferred bytes.

The disk utilazation looks OK:

iseadm01/admin# dir

Directory of disk:/

16384 Sep 18 2014 15:55:48  lost+found/

Usage for disk: filesystem
                  172761088 bytes total used
                14275047424 bytes free
                15234142208 bytes available
iseadm01/admin#
iseadm01/admin# dir

Directory of disk:/

16384 Sep 18 2014 15:55:48  lost+found/

Usage for disk: filesystem
                  172761088 bytes total used
                14275047424 bytes free
                15234142208 bytes available
iseadm01/admin#

We have Another ISE (monitor node) and the problem is excact the same on that node.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I've upgraded two deployments now - one on VMs and another on ISE 3400 series appliances. Both transferred the images OK.

I found it easier to transfer the files separately via FTP.  I then created a repository pointing at the disk and referenced that in the upgrade command.

I have seen reports of ftp servers on Windows (with WS-FTP and/or IIS) limiting transfers to 30 MB.  I used the Filezilla ftp server on windows laptop and it worked very nicely.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I've upgraded two deployments now - one on VMs and another on ISE 3400 series appliances. Both transferred the images OK.

I found it easier to transfer the files separately via FTP.  I then created a repository pointing at the disk and referenced that in the upgrade command.

I have seen reports of ftp servers on Windows (with WS-FTP and/or IIS) limiting transfers to 30 MB.  I used the Filezilla ftp server on windows laptop and it worked very nicely.

Thanks for your input. We tried our Prime 2.1 as the FTP server and then it worked like a charm.

Thanks again for your help

Hi!

One question, Im trying to use FTP to transfer the upgrade file to the ISE server since when i use TFTP it doesnt work. It sends almost all the file and then the connection drops.

However, using FTP, how do i set up Filezilla? Whenever i try to connect to ISE it doesnt connect.

Also on ISE, via CLI, it doesnt allow me to create an FTP user.

Id appreciate your help!

Sincerely,

Dante

The user account is on your FileZilla server - there's no need to create one on ISE. On ISE you provide username and password defined on the ftp server when you initiate the copy. I.e.:

copy ftp://username:password@ftpserverIP:/<upgrade file name> disk:/

Marvin,

Thank you for getting back to me.

Im new to Filezilla, where can i find out my user/password that is defined?

I appreciate your help

Regards

On FileZila click on the User Accounts Icon. The dialog box will show you  defined users. By default only anonymous is created.

So you need to create a local ftp username and passowrd. Then assign it a home directory under shared folders. This will be the dfault location a remote clietn will look for files and where you would find the ISE upgrade package, for example.

See following screenshot....

Hi Marvin,

I created the username and password and the directory assigned to it.

However, the server IP address is the local network IP add? or would it be my interface connected to the ISE?

I access the ISE via VPN. 

When i try to run the copy command, it shows me the same error. Transfer failed.

Your VPN-connected PC will have an IP address assigned to it from the VPN pool at the headend gateway. That would be the address you use when initiating the ftp copy of the upgrade bundle from the ISE server.

Marvin,

Somehow it doesnt work with the IP Address provided by the VPN pool.

It works with my local address and my external address.

It opens the connection and I can see it on Filezilla but for some reason, it times out and the connection closes.

Do you have an idea why is that?

Im attaching an screenshot of what is happening

I appreciate your help!

Hmm. Make sure your firewall is allowing / inspecting ftp. That could cause this problem. On an ASA we would look for the "inspect ftp" command as part of the global service-policy.

Ok.

Ill see if I can speak with the network admins.

Thank you!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: