Views
Helpful
Replies

VSS vs Stackwise vs VPC

jon_panes24
Level 1
Level 1

hi guys,

I know the information is on the internet but could you give me an easy to understand comparison/differences on VSS,stackwise and VPC.

What are the differences or how does each technology differ from the other? On what scenario is one technology better than the other?

thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Let me try:-

VSS: VSS can be done with 4500 or 6500 series . It supports only two chasis  and it uses 10GE interfaces and can be geographically separated. 

Good info on VSS:- http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-6500-virtual-switching-system-1440/prod_qas0900aecd806ed74b.html

2)

Stackwise: This is the Proprietary cabling mechanism and is limited to distance. The advantage of Stackwise over VSS is that you can add/stack around 9 devices at one go.Were as you cant do the same with VSS. Another advantage is that if stacking device does not require any configuration only that the device needs to be supported.

(Cisco StackWise technology unites up to nine individual switches into a single logical unit, using special stack-interconnect cables and stacking software. The individual switches can be any combination of Cisco Catalyst 3750 and Cisco Catalyst 3750-E Series Switches.)

3)

VPC:- It is Nexus specific technology and you cant configure this with other catalyst switches.

This is the new technology were in you can connect one switch (Access)to two uplink switches(distribution switch) and form an ether channel between them. Thats the good advantage of VPC which none of them have.

Eg:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/nexus-5000-series-switches/configuration_guide_c07-543563.html

Question:

=========

Which is better:-

All 3 work together hand in hand - What I mean is:-

For access layer when I have only 3750 stackable switches I cant do VSS or VPC on that hence would be using stacking and connecting them together to have single access.

6500/4500 I would use the VSS here at the distribution layer to avoid much impact.

VPC is best but you need to have Nexus device if you want to use this feature.

Hope this answers your query.

Regards

Inayath

**Plz dont forget to rate the post if this was helpfull.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Let me try:-

VSS: VSS can be done with 4500 or 6500 series . It supports only two chasis  and it uses 10GE interfaces and can be geographically separated. 

Good info on VSS:- http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-6500-virtual-switching-system-1440/prod_qas0900aecd806ed74b.html

2)

Stackwise: This is the Proprietary cabling mechanism and is limited to distance. The advantage of Stackwise over VSS is that you can add/stack around 9 devices at one go.Were as you cant do the same with VSS. Another advantage is that if stacking device does not require any configuration only that the device needs to be supported.

(Cisco StackWise technology unites up to nine individual switches into a single logical unit, using special stack-interconnect cables and stacking software. The individual switches can be any combination of Cisco Catalyst 3750 and Cisco Catalyst 3750-E Series Switches.)

3)

VPC:- It is Nexus specific technology and you cant configure this with other catalyst switches.

This is the new technology were in you can connect one switch (Access)to two uplink switches(distribution switch) and form an ether channel between them. Thats the good advantage of VPC which none of them have.

Eg:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/nexus-5000-series-switches/configuration_guide_c07-543563.html

Question:

=========

Which is better:-

All 3 work together hand in hand - What I mean is:-

For access layer when I have only 3750 stackable switches I cant do VSS or VPC on that hence would be using stacking and connecting them together to have single access.

6500/4500 I would use the VSS here at the distribution layer to avoid much impact.

VPC is best but you need to have Nexus device if you want to use this feature.

Hope this answers your query.

Regards

Inayath

**Plz dont forget to rate the post if this was helpfull.

If I have a server with 2 bonded NICS and connect each cable to two different switches that are part of stackwise. Will this work?

thanks!!

Yes differently it works.

As you know when we stack or do VSS there will be one active control plane. (Make sure your Server support Etherchannel technology).

Now you would you be doing sort of MEC.

HTH

Thanks a lot your explanation are very concise and helpful!

Can you perform vPVC from one access to three distribution switches?
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: