cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Could I configure local switching between sub-interface and global interface on ASR9k?

Could I configure local switching between sub-interface and global interface on ASR9k?

2 Replies 2

eduardopozo56
Level 1
Level 1

I'm guessing you are talking about two different interfaces, for example:
g0/0/0/0.123 (subinterface)

and

g0/3/0/0 (global interface)

If this is the case, yes. You just put both interfaces on a bridge domain / bridge group and they will be able to switch packets locally. Pay attention to the packet tagging (the subinterface might be receiving tagged packets, so you will have to pop the tag at arrival).
More info:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/routers/asr-9000-series-aggregation-services-routers/116500-problemsolution-product-00.html

Regards,

For 2 interfaces it is probably best to use an xconnect. It is faster and saves system resources (eg mac learning doesnt apply to xconnect).

Config example:

l2vpn
 xconnect group link
  p2p link
   interface Bundle-Ether100.4321
   interface Bundle-Ether500.4321
  !
 !

EFP config:

interface Bundle-Ether100.4321 l2transport
 encapsulation dot1q 4000
 rewrite ingress tag pop 1 symmetric

interface Bundle-Ether500.4321 l2transport
 encapsulation dot1q 2000
 rewrite ingress tag pop 1 symmetric

This example shows that you can link 2 EFP's with different vlan's together if you'd pop the tags.

If the EFP's are of the same vlan, then popping the tag can be done but not a must. In general it is recommended to always pop vlan tags so there is a standard EFP design, but not for any technical reasons.

When you use a bridge domain and using a BVI, you MUST pop the tags as the BVI has no notion of a vlan tag and wants to see "plain ethernet".

regards

xander

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: