Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 6504-E Switch question

lili Vachon
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

TIll now I have worked with 2960-X series switches. I am new to 6500 Series switches. As we are upgrading the network. My company is looking for a switch which supports  16 SFP+ ports and 10 Gigabit speed per each Ethernet port.  We are building a core switch and I was checking the Cisco models and found out that 6504-E switch is a good choice according to our requirements. But I have following questions. I request you to please answer it:  

1. Cisco Catalyst 6504-E Switch is just a body and comes with 4 slots with no modules installed. Is that correct?

2. Cisco Catalyst 6504-E Switch need to be installed with "WS-X6908-10G-2TXL" Part number module for Fiber connectivity SFP+ uplink?

3. For 48 Port Gigabit Ethernet with POE support which module is supported? Each Gigabit ethernet port should support speed till 10 GBPS.

4. Does it support application visibility and Control?

5. Does it support routing between two separate VLANs without the need of Router?

6. Each module do we have separate console port or one module with Console port in enough in order to configure all the modules? Basically how does it work?

Please answer to my above queries. Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

That seems about right, but don't forget power supplies (which are determined by power needed for your line cards, initially and what's likely to be added - also whether you want redundant power - also you need to consider whether you want sup redundancy).

Again, I would recommend considering the 6800 series, in this case, the larger 6807, as it should have a longer life cycle.

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes the 6504 is a chassis .  Add the cards you need .  The supervisor is a layer2/3  device and will do all your routing .   The console is on the main supervisor card  .

Dear Glen,

Thank you for the reply. I cannot find the module  for RJ-45 connector type 10 Gigabit Ethernet module with POE support. Could you please check ? 

What do you mean by "RJ-45 connector type 10 Gigabit Ethernet module"?

If you want to use (WS-X6908-10G-2TXL) you need to have Sup-2T

With Sup-2T you can use this POE module (WS-X6148A-GE-45AF)

Datasheet:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-6500-series-switches/white_paper_c11-676346.html

HTH

Dear Reza,

Thank you for the reply. Our requirement is 16 Ports SFP+ module and 48 Ports module with 10 gigabit  speed per each port for CAT-6A for connecting servers. Also I am looking for application visibility and control feature. 

There is a 16 port 10Gig copper modules:

WS-X6816-10T-2T: 16-port 10 Gigabit Ethernet Copper and fiber Module

As far as I know, there is no 48 port 10Gig cooper.

link to datasheet:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-6500-series-switches/data_sheet_c78-451794.html

HTH

Dea Reza,

Thank you for the valuable reply. Could you please check the link below:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-6500-series-switches/data_sheet_c78-451794.html

Figure 2 is RJ-45 Connector type each port supporting 10 Gig speed with CAT-6A copper cable. Is that correct?

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

#1 Yes, also you need to install power modules too.

#2 Need?  Well it depends on your requirements.  BTW, I believe 69xx cards require a sup2T.

#3 Actually I believe all 6500 PoE line cards are now end-of-life.  Cisco now has IA switches that support PoE.

#4 Don't know.  Is that a specific product?

#5 Yes.

#6 You manage the whole chassis with one console port.  Most line card modules are directly configurable while managing the device.  Some service modules require you to start an "internal" session to them, but you still only need the one console port.  (Management can also be done across the network.)

BTW, 6500s are being phased out with the 6800 series.  Unsure 6500 series offers SFP+ ports.  I believe the 6880 does which is about the same size as a 6504 and offers more performance.

Depending on your needs, you might also want to look at the 4500 series.  I recall (?) one of their later line cards support SFP+.  The also still support PoE line cards.

Dear Joseph, 

Thank you for the reply. I liked this switch Cisco WS-C4500X-16SFP+ it is good for uplinks as it supports 10 Gig speed for each port. But we also need one more switch which supports 10 Gigabit speed per port for connecting to servers, basically connecting using CAT-6A cable and we need it atleast with 48 ports. If POE is there it is advantage for us. Is there any switch or module? For Fiber and also RJ-45 types? 

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

Hmm, I don't think PoE supports 10g, at least not yet.

Depending on your device, I know some will support copper SFPs.  Unsure whether there are any copper SPF+ transceivers.  Copper transceivers should allow you to support copper based servers, although more expensively than copper only ports.  I also think copper only ports are going to be 10/100/1000 or 10g.

10g copper only port line cards appears to be limited to the 6716-10T or the 6816-10T.

Dear Joseph,

You have mentioned that Cisco 6500 is been phase out with 6800 series. Following are my question could you please reply to it?

1. Is cisco 6800 Chasis is pre-build with modules from Cisco. Or it is also just a body and we have to install modules separately?

2. For 6800 Series switches I cannot see if we can purchase modules of our choice separately. However following link shows that 6500 Series switches are supported by 6800 series modules:

Could you please check figure 2 in the link. Here I noticed RJ-45 types port which support cat-6a with 10 Gigabit speed on each port. POE is not needed.  

Waiting for your response. Thank you.

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

The 6800 series do need to be populated with line cards or modules, although the 6880 comes with the sup built in, and it provides 16 (?) 10g ports.

The 6807 is the more chassis like variant.  It does (today) use cards that work with the 6500 series, but the chassis design supports bandwidth that the 6500 chassis does not.  (This is much like the 6500-E series supporting 80 Gbps per slot, while the earlier 6500 series supported 40 Gbps per slot, but it was years before there were 80 Gbps line cards and/or supporting fabric.)

Dear Joseph,

You are very helpful from the starting. Following is the collected Parts number info by me with Summary. Could you please check is everything in order:

1. WS-X6816-10T-2T: 16-port 10 Gigabit Ethernet Copper Module with DFC4 supporting 10 Gigabit per port

2. VS-S2T-10G = Supervisor engine Enables switching configuration for all the modules and let us monitor.

3. WS-X6908-10G-2T: Cisco Catalyst 6900 Series 8-Port 10 Gigabit Ethernet Fiber Module with DFC4 requires extra X2 Module with CVR-X2-SFP10G and SFP-10G-SR-X transceiver for multimode fiber.

4. Cisco Catalyst 6504-E with 4 Slots chasis for installing above modules

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

That seems about right, but don't forget power supplies (which are determined by power needed for your line cards, initially and what's likely to be added - also whether you want redundant power - also you need to consider whether you want sup redundancy).

Again, I would recommend considering the 6800 series, in this case, the larger 6807, as it should have a longer life cycle.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card