Views
Helpful
Replies

Does VPC Peer Gateway cause downtime?

mark.decastro
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a quick question. We recently implemented VPC based network design with few SVIs (with HSRP) on a pair of NEX 5500s, but I forgot to include the 'peer-gateway' command. I understand the benefit of that command on FHRP like HSRP. My question is, if I apply that on a production NEX 5500 switches, would that cause any downtime? Could someone please confirm? Many thanks in advance!

Regards,

Mark

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Mark,

It usually does not cause disruption, however we always suggest do it after hours.

HTH

View solution in original post

It shouldnt, but again we request you to kindly do it out of office hours or in MW.

below is the detail info on Auto-recovery:-

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/nexus-7000-series-switches/116187-configure-vpc-00.html#anc5

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

mark.decastro
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

Any ideas? By the way, we have 5 HSRP groups currently servicing a number of servers. I assume there's no impact, just ensuring my hunch is right before I issue the command :-)

TIA,

Mark

Mark,

It usually does not cause disruption, however we always suggest do it after hours.

HTH

Thanks a lot guys. I assume it will be the same with 'peer-switch' command, no downtime if I issue them?

I am planning to issue both of them on our production switches in the near future. 

Mark,

Thanks for the update. If you dont have any further query could you please mark this thread as answered rather than leaving it as unanswered/open questions.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry for another question, if I also include 'auto-recovery' and 'peer-switch' in our scheduled changes on the NEX switches, would that cause downtime?

It shouldnt, but again we request you to kindly do it out of office hours or in MW.

below is the detail info on Auto-recovery:-

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/nexus-7000-series-switches/116187-configure-vpc-00.html#anc5

Thanks again InayathUlla !

Hi,

I don't think adding the 'peer-gateway' command will cause an outage but as Inayath also noted you should do it during a short maintenance window just in case.

HTH

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

There is no down time, I have done this with N7Ks in the past. 

RE peer switch command I would do this out of hours for sure. I would say expect some down time even if there isn't any.

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card