cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2960X FPS-L-48 Uplinks and Throughput

racquel.mays
Level 1
Level 1

I have a stack of (4) 2960X FPS-L-48 switches which support SFP only that will uplink, via fiber, to another stack of (2) 2960X FPS-L-48 SFP only switches.  A port channel will be created between the two stacks.  I need to know what the throughput would be over the port channel between the stacks.

Thanks in advance.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The potential throughput will be the combined speed of the interfaces in the etherchannel.

Bear in mind though that for the same conversation between two end devices etherchannel uses the same physical link within the bundle so it's important to choose the right load balancing method.

See the configuration guide for details -

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960x/software/15-2_2_e/layer2/configuration_guide/b_layer2_1522e_2960x_cg/b_layer2_1522e_2960x_cg_chapter_0100.html#con_1275731

Jon

View solution in original post

for a total of (8) ports in the etherchannel bundle?

Yes, this is the maximum number of ports you can have in an etherchannel.

Is that what you are asking ?

Jon

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The potential throughput will be the combined speed of the interfaces in the etherchannel.

Bear in mind though that for the same conversation between two end devices etherchannel uses the same physical link within the bundle so it's important to choose the right load balancing method.

See the configuration guide for details -

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960x/software/15-2_2_e/layer2/configuration_guide/b_layer2_1522e_2960x_cg/b_layer2_1522e_2960x_cg_chapter_0100.html#con_1275731

Jon

Hi Jon,

So does that mean that I can only have a total number of (4) ports on stack 1 and (4) ports on stack 2 for a total of (8) ports in the etherchannel bundle?

for a total of (8) ports in the etherchannel bundle?

Yes, this is the maximum number of ports you can have in an etherchannel.

Is that what you are asking ?

Jon

Yes, that's it.  Thanks alot.

Racquel

Just to clarify.

You were asking about throughput so I concentrated on that.

But if you use LACP then you can have double the number of ports but half of them are in standby mode.

What this means is that they are not used to forward traffic but they can replace failed ports that were forwarding.

So the throughput is still the same but I just wanted to point that out in case it is an option for you.

Again, see the configuration guide for full details.

Hope I haven't confused the issue :-)

Jon

Jon,

No, eveyrthing is quite clear.  I saw that LACP option as well.  Thank you for being concise.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: