cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MACSec over dark fiber - transceiver module option?

rbko_ciscocco
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all,

Want to order two WS-C3750X-24T-S with service modules C3KX-SM-10G in order to implement MACSec between two datacenters using dark fiber (one fiber). Distance between datacenters is about 17 Km.

Can I use GLC-EX-SMD module on both location?

Thanks in advance,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ah I see - I thought you meant one fiber PAIR - not a single strand.

He is right - the GLC-EX-SMD requires a duplex single mode fiber pair. So if you have only one strand that will not work.

The BX type that allows you to use a single strand are only compatible for the shorter reach (up to 10 km) application with the 3750-X. The 40 km variants are NOT compatible with the 3750-X.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I have never used that particular SFP, but according to Cisco documentation any SFP will work.

Hope it helps.

Collin,

Can you provide a link to the Cisco Documentation that states any SFP will work? That will assist us all. 

Thanx!

Check the datasheet for the C3K, that's where I saw it- no SFP restrictions. There is the assumption that the platform must support the SFP though.

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It should work fine.

Requirements for using that transceiver in the module are IOS 12.2(58) or later and the transceiver hardware must be CPN 10-2624-01 or later only per the giagabit transceiver compatibility matrix

You will be in 15.x anyway since you are using MACsec - 15.2(1)E1 is recommended per the Trustsec Design Guide version 5.0

Hi Marvin,

Thanks for the response,

Actually I'm little bit confused because ISP fiber engineer explain to me that since there is single fiber optic between two datacenters he suggest me to use GLC-BX40-D-I in one side and GLC-BX40-U-I in other side. This is because GLC-BX40-D-I 1550nm for TX and 1310 for RX and viceversa for GLC-BX40-U-I. In other hand GLC-EX-SMD operates only on range 1310nm and this module will be installed in both sides.

Based on cisco docs GLC-BX40-D-I and GLC-BX40-U-I not supported in 3750X.

I just want to be sure if it will work for sure in my environment?

BR

Enis

Ah I see - I thought you meant one fiber PAIR - not a single strand.

He is right - the GLC-EX-SMD requires a duplex single mode fiber pair. So if you have only one strand that will not work.

The BX type that allows you to use a single strand are only compatible for the shorter reach (up to 10 km) application with the 3750-X. The 40 km variants are NOT compatible with the 3750-X.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: