Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DMVPN_IPSEC BGP Status ACTIVE

We are using the DMVPN_IPSEC HUB and spoke Tech. We have many peers connected in HUB without any issue. One of the Peer BGP is not established.

1) Verified tunnel configuration (DMVPN MAP) no issue on that, below are the items verified in spoke end

1. NHRP MAP
  2. KEY ID
  3. TUNNEL PROTECTION
  4. TUNNEL KEY
  5. Cleared BGP neighbor soft/HARD
  6. Cleared tunnel configuration and reconfigured
  7. Removed BGP configuration and reconfigured
  8. Rebooted Router.

2) Checked ISP, no issue identified we are able to trace the HUB and physical ip without any issue and ICMP blocked in HUB ISP interface. Only esp and gre are permitted.

3) Crypto configuration working fine .Phase 1 up and working fine but phase 2 decryption not happening since the GRE tunnel is down. Below is the logs

Router#sh crypto isakmp sa
IPv4 Crypto ISAKMP SA
dst             src             state          conn-id status
x.x.x.x     x.x.x.x      QM_IDLE           1300 ACTIVE
x.x.x.x    x.x.x.x       QM_IDLE           1299 ACTIVE

Router##sh crypto ipsec sa
  #pkts encaps: 1277, #pkts encrypt: 1277, #pkts digest: 1277
    #pkts decaps: 0, #pkts decrypt: 0, #pkts verify: 0

4)Checked DMVPN sockets has been opened , Yes

5)checked crypto session UP_ACTIVE

5)DMVPN output status showing as “NHRP” , It suppose to be “UP”

Router #sh dmvpn
Legend: Attrb --> S - Static, D - Dynamic, I - Incomplete
        N - NATed, L - Local, X - No Socket
        # Ent --> Number of NHRP entries with same NBMA peer
        NHS Status: E --> Expecting Replies, R --> Responding, W --> Waiting
        UpDn Time --> Up or Down Time for a Tunnel
==========================================================================

Interface: Tunnelxxx, IPv4 NHRP Details
Type:Spoke, NHRP Peers:2,

# Ent  Peer NBMA Addr Peer Tunnel Add State  UpDn Tm Attrb
 ----- --------------- --------------- ----- -------- -----
     1   x.x.x.x    x.x.x.x   NHRP    6d00h     S   (state should up)
     1  x.x.x..x    x.x.x..x  NHRP    6d00h     S

6) Enabled debug “DMVPN ALL ALL

Jan 19 08:29:06.926 EST: NHRP: NHRP successfully resolved x.x.x.x    to NBMA  x.x.x.x 
Jan 19 08:29:10.926 EST: NHRP: NHRP successfully resolved x.x.x.x   to NBMA x.x.x.x 
Jan 19 08:29:18.926 EST: NHRP: NHRP successfully resolved x.x.x.x   to NBMA x.x.x.x 
Jan 19 08:29:19.262 EST: NHRP: NHRP successfully resolved x.x.x.x   to NBMA x.x.x.x 

Jan 19 08:29:54.474 EST: ISAKMP (1299): received packet from x.x.x.x   dport 500 sport 500 INTERNET (I) QM_IDLE
Jan 19 08:30:43.842 EST: IPSEC(crypto_map_check_encrypt_core): mtree says we have SA but couldn't find current outbound SA. dropping pak. pak->cryptoflags=0x2000820

7)BGP status showing as below

Router #sh ip bgp summary

Neighbor        V           AS MsgRcvd MsgSent   TblVer  InQ OutQ Up/Down  State/PfxRcd
x.x.x.x          4        64609       0       0        1    0    0     never             Active
x.x.x.x          4        64609       0       0        1    0    0      never            Idle
Router #

https://ssl.gstatic.com/ui/v1/icons/mail/images/cleardot.gif

13 Replies 13

Marcin Latosiewicz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

"mtree says we have SA but couldn't find current outbound SA" that one is peculiar would indicate some problem at crypto map (not the config necessarily) level. 

#pkts encaps: 1277, #pkts encrypt: 1277, #pkts digest: 1277

Probably connected but with that in place you will never receive NHRP registration reply. (Assuming it's from a spoke). 

Removing crypto or whole tunnel config might fix this, but you might also consider an upgrade and or opening a TAC case to verify this. 

Hi Marchin,

Thanks , I removed tunnel configuration and i reconfigured still the DMVPN tunnel doesn't come up.

Previously it was working since last week we are facing this issue.

I'd check that with TAC, troubleshooting over forums takes lots and lots of time and we'd need outputs you're not willing to share details of (IP addresses etc). 

You might also try a sniffer trace on the external interface - will show you whether you're really sending and really receiving encrypted. (Check also dynamic NHRP mapping on hub). 

Still seeing this after removing tunnel configs?

mtree says we have SA but couldn't find current outbound SA. 

Aftyer removing tunnel configuration means;  should i remove all related nhrp or Tunnel protection configuration or completed Tunnel configuration ?

I have removed tunnel configuration and reconfigured all the configuration.

Could you please tell me clearly so that i can implement and check

Let me elaborate and take a step back. 

1) When you configure DMVPN tunnel IKE and IPsec SAs are negotiated between hub and spoke (spoke knows who to negotiate with based on NHRP config).

You should have IPsec SA DB entry with two active IPsec SAs (inbound and outbound). 

That mtree error is suggesting you might not, but it also might be unrelated to the entire config... it depends :-)

Removing applied tunnel protection and crypto maps from all interfaces might fix this. 

2) When IPsec SAs are up spoke sends NHRP registration to spoke (it's encrypted so it will trigger encaps to go up). 

On hub side you should check whether for this spoke's IP address you're seeing that same packet decaps'ulate .... show crypto ipsec sa peer x.x.x.x

3) When NHRP registration request is received hub will create a dynamic NHRP entry in it's NHRP table - check whether it exists and that it points to right NBMA. 

4) NHRP Registration reply is sent to address based on NHRP mapping on hub and should trigger encaps on IPsec SA for this peer. Check that it's happening. 

There's a chance your encrypted packets are dropped in transit, looking at the IPsec SA output you punted, but there are a few things to check. 

Hi Marchin,

1st option which u suggested , i tried and no changes still the same & we dont have any cryptomap for  intresting traffic because we are using dynamic VTI interface(tunnel protection) so the intresting traffic is source ip and destination ip gre packet permitted 

2nd option , In HUB end i am not getting anything to this particular spoke (enc & dec  0 0 ) 

But phase 1 tunnel up , phase 2 shows as below because gre tunnel not up 

#pkts encaps: 0, #pkts encrypt: 0, #pkts digest: 0

Even though you're do not have crypto map configured, crypto map (db) is enabled - it is how the logical construct is called. 

You can do "show crypto map" in DMVPN deployment and see for yourself. 

"tunnel protection ..." will add crypto map db entry. 

VTI != DVMPN, VTI = mode ipsec ipv4/6 , DMVPN = gre over IPv4/IPv6 with or without IPsec. 

IF you have IPsec SAs and you don't see decaps on hub there's your problem. 

Encrypted packets are not making it to the hub. You can verify by sniffing traffic on both ends.

small edit:

phase 2 shows as below because gre tunnel not up 

Just to be clear, DMVPN is GRE over IPsec not IPsec over GRE, GRE will be up as long as a few basic config criteria are met (for example destination IP reachable), on top we're talking about mgre, so even a bit different. 

You establish IPsec, on top of IPsec SAs rides GRE, on top of that you have your NHRP. The output showing 0 decaps and 0 encaps means nothing was received or sent by IPsec. 

Could you please explain below 

1)What is the difference between GRE over IPSEC vs IPSEC over GRE?

2)In DMVPN which has to be come up first GRE tunnel or IPSEC tunnel ?

I have uploaded new ios in the box still the BGP session not coming up 

DMVPN is GRE over IPsec, in which case GRE will not flow until its transport layer (IPsec) is not established. 

IPsec over GRE is very rare case ...in which case you have IPsec running over a GRE tunnel. 

I don't think upgrade would help, what you've shown so far is indicating that spoke is sending encrypted packets and hub is never receiving them - indicating a problem in the path. 

But as I said feel free to evaluate this with a sniffer trace.

Thanks for teh explanation

I’m trying to understand one thing since long back below is

1) GRE over IPSEC; u said in DMVPN will use, which tunnel gets form first GRE or IPSEC?

2) IPSEC over GRE where people are using?

3) Once GRE established and we formed the spoke to spoke tunnel as well, once the NHRP tunnel expires (On demand Tunnel), how the re-negotiation would be

> First IPSEC negotiation or NHRP registration

IPsec is formed first, if you do not have active IPsec SAs GRE cannot flow. 

IPsec over GRE I've seen only with GetVPN, and when GRE was an access method. 

If your NHRP entry (not tunnel) expires you're missing information on who the end point for IPsec tunnel is. Depending on the config, this might cause traffic to go through hub or be dropped. 

So as per your explanation GRE over IPSEC , First IPSEC tunnel then the  GRE tunnel 

Can u please give me any best link which can explain the packet level , because as per my understand also as like yours , but people over here telling GRE should up then IPSEC. 

In previous note , i raised the question but i missed some words here below 

Once GRE established and we formed the spoke to spoke tunnel  for the particular subet in differnt location, once the NHRP tunnel expires (On demand Tunnel) for the particular subnet , how the re-negotiation would be?

Again IPSEC negotiation would be first for the new subnet which is hosted in remote location or directly NHRP tunnel will form

I think there may be some confusion on their part, but indeed IPsec is optional in DMVPN, in which case you would see GRE packets in the wild. 

But maybe it should be mentioned here, if the GRE tunnel _interface_ is down there will not be any IKE sent.

There is no such thing as NHRP tunnel (at least that I'm aware of). 

What you have is a NHRP resolution process, have a look at BRKSEC-4054 presentation, it outlines NHRP resolution request and reply depending on design (phase 2 or phase 3).

There's a decent packet decode picture here 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/solutions/Enterprise/WAN_and_MAN/VPNLoad/VPN_Load/ch8_Dual.html#wp1038732

showing GRE encapsulated within IPsec. 

You will also find a plenty of information from Cisco Live slides and CCIE training sites. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: