Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Recommended switch for a/g/n AP

Hello! Which switch is recommended for 802.11 a/g/n 1600, 2600, 3600 series AP? Is it enought fast ethernet ports or sould we use gigabit ethernet ports switch and why? Is there network infrastructure deployment guide for cisco wireless?

7 Replies 7

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sure you can use fastethernet ports, but that will be your bottleneck. If you only have a few devices and don't plannon utilizing 802.11ac to its fullest, then 10/100 will work. I just don't think you want to have the Ethernet port be your bottleneck. Even with 802.11n you can achieve around 150mbps throughout.  So the more users on the AP, the more traffic will need to get pushed out of the Ethernet port.

-Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks for your reply! So what about if i`m planning to deploy mesh networks. Is then i difinetely should use gigabit ports? Is there official recommendations? 

What is your budget?  What is your setup?  

GigabitEthernet is not just your only question.  You need to determine what model of AP you're using.  This will determine what model of switch you need to consider.  

FastEthernet is no longer relevant nowadays.  

Hi! Thanks for your reply! What about 1600, 2600 and 3600 series AP in mesh configuration

Hi! Thanks for your reply! What about 1600, 2600 and 3600 series AP in mesh configuration

I won't make any response to your line of questioning.  They don't add up.  Your questions sound so vague like it came from school.  

Is this schoolwork-related exercise?

Take it easy ) It`s not a schoolwork and so on. My question is about best practice. Let`s try again: i`m going to deploy some amount of AP (for example 1602e) some of them will be contected throught switch and some of them will be in mesh. And my question is should we use gigabit switch or there will be enought fastethernet because gigabit capacity will never be used at even 10%.

And my question is should we use gigabit switch or there will be enought fastethernet because gigabit capacity will never be used at even 10%.

This kind of thinking is so "old fashion".  Turn back the clock 10 years ago and I will agree with you.  Nowadays, I don't think so.  

I'm not going into details, but let's take 802.11n alone.  With a single spatial stream, how much bandwidth can a wireless laptop push?  150 Mbps.  

I have a number of 1140 APs (old, I know) which, during class days, can have a mind-staggering >80 students associated to it.  Now what do you think is going to happen if the links of these APs were FastEthernet instead of GigabitEthernet.  

I am also aware of the cost difference of a FastEthernet PoE switch vs GigabitEthernet PoE switch and it just doesn't cut it.  

If you want/have to deploy FastEthernet switches, then I'd recommend you disable 802.11n and 802.11ac.  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: