cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AnyConnect Mac Error "failed to determine valid temporary file folder.."

ptmcgann22
Level 1
Level 1

I was recently traveling internationally and trying to connect to VPN through Cisco VPN AnyConnect. I entered my user name and password and it began to connect then an error came up saying "failed to determine valid temporary file folder. contact your system administrator." I tried uninstalling AnyConnect and reinstalling and continue to get the same message.  I contacted my systems team here, who have been unable come up with a solution yet.  I am running Mac OS X Yosemite.  Any thoughts or solutions??  Thanks for the help.

6 Replies 6

mox.soini
Level 1
Level 1

This is generic problem related to app/system updates, which break system folder permissions.

Open "Disk Utility" on mac, choose system hard disk and run "Repair Disk Permissions"

Tried this but didn't work. I'm still getting the same error when trying to connect to VPN. It seems to have happened after a system update. I'm using Cisco AnyConnect 3.1.05160 with Mac OS Yosemite 10.10.3

Any other ideas? I've tried restarting and re-installing the AnyConnect app a couple of times and nothing.

Thanks!

-Ivan

Just repairing Disk Utility permissions didn't help me much.

I did the following and fixed it:

/tmp is actually a symbolic link to private/tmp

The solution was to recreate the symlink.

Steps:

1. cd /

2. ln -s private/tmp /tmp

This solution did work for me.

The /private/temp folder did not have "write" permissions, this utility auto corrected that.

mox.soini

I realize this post is 11 months later, but you just literally saved my life. I have a Tuesday morning deadline and was resolved to work ALL weekend (Holiday Monday) to meet that deadline. I started to work tonight (over a Mai Tai) and got the temp file message. I tried everything I could think of, but didn't make any headway, that is until I found your suggestion to repair disk permissions. Worked like a charm. Now I can go back to working all weekend. Hey......

Seriously, I hope you see this message because I am indebted to you.

Keep up the great work!

Rich

ifuyivara
Level 1
Level 1

Did you ever solve the issue? I'm seeing the same problem with Mac OS 10.10.3 

Thank you!