Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco BGP Peering Between 2 ISP

emerging18
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Cisco People,

Just have a question with BGP peering in Cisco's. I have two ISP's which I am peering against for an active and standby configuration. I would like to know if there is a way to configure some sort of 'dead-peer detection' on the router to monitor a public IP address in the event of an ISP failure. I want to find a way to dynamically failover the link in the event of failure when losing pings to an external address.

Regards

Chris

1 Reply 1

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Chris

Dead Peer Detection is one of the functions performed by BGP. If the peer goes dead then BGP will detect it and will withdraw routes learned from that peer from the routing table.

What you describe about monitoring a public address is more about validating that the ISP routing logic is learning and advertising appropriate routes than it is about detecting if a peer has gone dead. I would think that this is possible - but a bit complex. I would think that you could configure IP SLA to track some public address (the tricky bit here is to make sure that you are tracking through ISP1 and not using ISP2 for this). Then you should be able to configure EEM to watch the track and if the route is lost to make appropriate changes in BGP to force the failover.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card