Views
Helpful
Replies

B200-M4 Toshiba local disk caveat

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Dear community, just fyi

I just run at a customer site in the following issue: New chassis with 4 new B200-M4 and local 300GB SAS Toshiba disks, firmware 2.2.3d.

SP association failed, error message : Raid controller L2/L3 cache failure,.... see attachment

We removed discs, Raid controller was ok

Decommission / recommission, didn't solve the issue.....

Finally I learned that there is a known problem, which is related to Toshiba discs, Seagate discs seem to work !

Similar cases with C-Series M4 servers have been reported.

Kind Regards

Walter.

5 Replies 5

oliver.hien
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Walter,

got the same problem here. Cisco B200 M4 with 2 Toshiba 300GB Harddisk-Drives.

Drives got "Failed" State within the RAID-Controller. I'm currently unable to configure the server and to bind a Service Profile to that hardware.

Removing the disks and everything works fine.

Did you ever got a resolution to this case ??

Did you contact the TAC ??

Thanks for help

Kind regards,

Oliver Hien

Hi Oliver

This seems to be a known problem; my customers just had to RMA their Toshiba HDD, replacing them e.g. by Seagate. Meanwhile their is also a Field Notice, which I believe is related to this problem.

Title:

Field Notice: FN 63939 - HDD Disabled Due to Automatic Firmware Downgrade - Preventative Configuration Change Required

Description:

Certain hard disk drives (HDDs) with new firmware might be automatically downgraded by Unified Computing System (UCS) Manager, which causes the drive to become unusable. The issue affects certain hard drives manufactured by Toshiba under the Product IDs listed in the Products Affected section. The issue affects UCS B-Series and UCS C-Series, only in environments managed through UCS Manager Version 2.2(3).

Cheers Walter.

Hi Walter,

I have a similar issue but the blade model is B200 - M3. The service profile association fails @ 71% stating "local disk firmware update failed". The local disks are of same model as shown in the b200-m4 document. 

Is replacing the hard disks is the only option ? 

Hi Shyam

The only solution is to RMA (replace) the disk !

Walter.

Yes, open a TAC case and have them confirm you ran into this issue and make reference to this bug ID  https://tools.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCus51733/?reffering_site=dumpcr  ; same as the Field Notice Walter posted above... that way TAC will know they need to verify that and go from there...

-Kenny

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card