cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco RV130 Router Question

idle00951
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco RV130 router.  Use to have a Linksys concumer one from best buy.  Upgraded to this model since I already had a switch and AP from cisco.  With the old router I was able to always connect to the IP address from home or on my mobile phone.  I have a CCTV system were I use the IP address and port number to hit the system remotly.  I also use the IP address to hit our work order system.

Here is the issue.  Every 7 to 10 days I cant hit the system with the IP address.  Just says its not there.  I remote into the work order PC using team view and reboot the router.  Bingo everything starts working again.  I can now see the CCTV and anything else at the store.  I can even remote into the router.  But before the restart I cant remote into anything at the IP.  What setting is wrong in the router to stop this from working?  The internet is not down either at the location when this happens.  Everything is working like normal.

So I can access the IP address but after 7 to 10 days I cant.  I reboot router and it works fine again for 7 to 10 days.  Please help.

9 Replies 9

mdobiac
Level 3
Level 3

Hello idle00951,

First check to make sure you are on the latest firmware.

After that you may need to enable your logging or a syslog server to see what is transpiring in regards to the port the CCTV system is using.  With the logs we might be able to see if their are any invalid sessions that are possibly causing the blocking of access.

Parameters for logging to be enabled system, information, debugging, error, and notification.

If you want you can upload the logs here or you can contact Cisco Support at 1-866-606-1866 and we can assist with the diagnostics of the RV120.

Regards,

Michael D.

It cant be the ports because it knocks all remote access off line but still allows things connected to it to work.  I loose the ability to remote into the IP address and get into the router and the CCTV system.  I also cant hit the IP address.  Once we do a quick reboot it works.  If I could remote into the router any time I could solve it my self with a reboot but I cant because it goes off line.  I have to have some one reboot it for the location.  The firmware is 1.0.1.3.  I cant even download any other firmware from cisco.  Says not available.

Hello idle00951,

The remote management uses port 443 by default and then there is ICMP for pinging the WAN.  I am not sure if you have Block WAN request enabled (it is by default) so that could explain why you could not ping the WAN, as for port 443 it may be reserving buffer space for other https sessions.  Usually a reboot fixes these issues.  Something else you can try doing is using an alternative port for remote management and see if that will stabilize your remote management sessions.

Hope this helps,

Michael D.

If this post is helpful please rate or mark as correct.

I appreciate the answer but thats not what im talking about.  I loose remote access to everything on that router.  All of sudden on day it just wont let me remote into the router or hit the external IP address to see the CCTV or my work order system.  I will have to restart the router and then all will work again.  What is causing this?

I cant downgrade firmware as there not available for download anymore.  Im on the newest firmware as well.

Hi,

Try setting up your port forwards using Port Range Forwarding instead of Single Port Forwarding.  It sounds weird but I have seen it resolve this issue.  Just use the same starting and ending port for each entry.

Regards,

Mike.V

Ill try that.

How do I get the logs? Logging was already on.  How do I get them from the Router?

SamirD
Level 5
Level 5

Common issue in the rv series.  A firmware change (up or down) may solve the issue, but that's the only possible cure.  Otherwise, get a router rebooter and have it automatically reboot the router on a regular basis.

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

What is a router rebooter?