cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WebEx user license

Mikhail Kalita
Level 1
Level 1

Good day! I need to understand user license for WebEx Meeting Server. I understand that only presenter requires user license, therefore WebEx doesn't requires license for attendees during a weebinar. I'm also wondering about users who requires host meeting. Do they have their own password for arranging webinars.  My task is to arrange a conference for a year with one permanent presenter and 40 attendees. What type of license do I need for sort out my task?

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Terry Cheema
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Only the person hosting the license will need a license. Participants will not need any license.

So if you are going to schedule a meetings for one year you will just need one permanent host license (regardless of the number of participants). See below detailed explanation.

Ref: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/collaboration/CWMS/2_5/Administration_Guide/Administration_Guide/Administration_Guide_chapter_010001.html#reference_C89117B5357E40C8A8A675EAE85E65C4

This section describes the relationship between the status of users and how host licenses are counted:

• Participant—An individual that attends meetings, but does not host meetings, and does not have control over the host features, such as presenting content unless the participant is designated by a host to be the presenter. No host licenses are consumed by meeting participants. This user can also schedule meetings on behalf of others without consuming a host license.
  • Meeting Host--Schedules and attends meetings in the capacity of the meeting host, and is allowed control over selected features, such as identifying a presenter or muting another participant. Hosting a meeting consumes a license and that license is retained by that user until the user is deactivated. The Host license can take several forms. (See Types of Host Licenses for more information on Host license forms.)
  • Alternate Host--Identified when the meeting is scheduled as someone who can assume the host role in the absence of the meeting host. If the meeting host who scheduled the meeting does not attend, the alternate host is given control over most of the same features as the meeting host. The license needed to host the meeting is validated against the status of the user who scheduled the meeting. In other words, the user who scheduled the meeting must have a valid license at the time of the meeting, even if that user does not attend the meeting.

Please let me know if you still have any further questions.

-Terry

View solution in original post

Hi Mate,

The licensing information is changed slightly with version 2.5. So I will try to address your question accordingly:

1) If a user hosts a meeting and passes on the host rights to another user only one license should be consumed.

2) If he then starts another meeting at same time, pre 2.5 then it will consume two licenses

Ref: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/collaboration/CWMS/b_planningGuide/b_planningGuide_chapter_0111.html

User G hosts a meeting and passes host rights to another participant during the meeting. The user then hosts a 2nd meeting that runs simultaneously with the 1st meeting.January 8

January 8

9:00 a.m.

Yes (2)2

3) In the version 2.5 it will still consume one license.

Ref: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/collaboration/CWMS/2_5/Release_Notes/Release_Notes.html

Version 2.5 also changes the license counting mechanism for simultaneous meetings. The maximum number of simultaneous meetings a given host user can have is restricted to two. Only one license is counted for unto two simultaneous meetings, irrespective of the duration of overlap.

Mikhail,

Yes its correct the participants, can participate in all ways but they can not share there desktop, documents, etc. They are also not able to update any document unlike the presenter. They can take notes but can't share.

But its easy for the host to pass on the role to a participant and make him the host (if he needs to use any of the host only functionalty) and can easily reclaim it back when done (or pass on to other participants as per need).

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Please do rate all helpful posts and do mark the thread as answered if you have no other queries.

-Terry

19 Replies 19

Terry Cheema
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Only the person hosting the license will need a license. Participants will not need any license.

So if you are going to schedule a meetings for one year you will just need one permanent host license (regardless of the number of participants). See below detailed explanation.

Ref: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/collaboration/CWMS/2_5/Administration_Guide/Administration_Guide/Administration_Guide_chapter_010001.html#reference_C89117B5357E40C8A8A675EAE85E65C4

This section describes the relationship between the status of users and how host licenses are counted:

• Participant—An individual that attends meetings, but does not host meetings, and does not have control over the host features, such as presenting content unless the participant is designated by a host to be the presenter. No host licenses are consumed by meeting participants. This user can also schedule meetings on behalf of others without consuming a host license.
  • Meeting Host--Schedules and attends meetings in the capacity of the meeting host, and is allowed control over selected features, such as identifying a presenter or muting another participant. Hosting a meeting consumes a license and that license is retained by that user until the user is deactivated. The Host license can take several forms. (See Types of Host Licenses for more information on Host license forms.)
  • Alternate Host--Identified when the meeting is scheduled as someone who can assume the host role in the absence of the meeting host. If the meeting host who scheduled the meeting does not attend, the alternate host is given control over most of the same features as the meeting host. The license needed to host the meeting is validated against the status of the user who scheduled the meeting. In other words, the user who scheduled the meeting must have a valid license at the time of the meeting, even if that user does not attend the meeting.

Please let me know if you still have any further questions.

-Terry

Terry, what's about a situation when a host designates a participant to be a presenter. Does participant require a license inthis case?

Hi Mate,

The licensing information is changed slightly with version 2.5. So I will try to address your question accordingly:

1) If a user hosts a meeting and passes on the host rights to another user only one license should be consumed.

2) If he then starts another meeting at same time, pre 2.5 then it will consume two licenses

Ref: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/collaboration/CWMS/b_planningGuide/b_planningGuide_chapter_0111.html

User G hosts a meeting and passes host rights to another participant during the meeting. The user then hosts a 2nd meeting that runs simultaneously with the 1st meeting.January 8

January 8

Yes (2)2

3) In the version 2.5 it will still consume one license.

Ref: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/collaboration/CWMS/2_5/Release_Notes/Release_Notes.html

Version 2.5 also changes the license counting mechanism for simultaneous meetings. The maximum number of simultaneous meetings a given host user can have is restricted to two. Only one license is counted for unto two simultaneous meetings, irrespective of the duration of overlap.

Terry,

I understand that participants can speak and write in a chat without any required license.

What capabilities are avaliable for a participant too?

Mikhail,

Yes its correct the participants, can participate in all ways but they can not share there desktop, documents, etc. They are also not able to update any document unlike the presenter. They can take notes but can't share.

But its easy for the host to pass on the role to a participant and make him the host (if he needs to use any of the host only functionalty) and can easily reclaim it back when done (or pass on to other participants as per need).

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Please do rate all helpful posts and do mark the thread as answered if you have no other queries.

-Terry

Yes, I can't understand completely how many licenses are required during one conference. I understand that only one. A host can designate the right to share documents, desktop to another participant during a conference. I need to understand scenario when some licenses are required during one conference.

During one conference only one license will be used and will only use the host license(there is no other license type) of the person who scheduled the meeting. It doesnt matter if he passes the control or designates another person as host, the system sees the meeting generated by the original host and will validate license against it.

I understood from your explanation that one host can conduct unlimitted quantity of conferences for a while. I can purchase only one  host meeting license. And I can conduct unlimitted amount of conferences if a host has the same account in all of the conference. Now I consider only a scenario without CUCM. I sorted out with hardware and VmWare licenses. And now I want to understand a licensing of WebEx completely.

Yes, for every user that needs to host a conference you need to buy a Host license. That user can then host endless conferences, you will always be using one license. If you disable that user the license will become available for another user.

For application level another licenses you would need is MDC license if you are  using HA and multi-data center setup.

At the OS level you will need VMware license. If your organization doesnt have a vcenter you will need to buy a vcenter license as well, as the CWMS cann't be deployed without a vcenter.

Thats pretty much it.

As requested please do rate helpful posts, this forum doesn't consist of Cisco employees only, we are a wider network community just voluntarily helping each other. Rating posts is your way to say thank you/encourage the person helping you.

Anyways let me know if you have more questions, but I would suggest you to go through the below documents for a thorough understanding of the product:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/collaboration/CWMS/2_5/Planning_Guide/Planning_Guide.html

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/collaboration/CWMS/2_5/Administration_Guide/Administration_Guide.html

-Terry

Mikhail,

Thanks for ratings. Please do feel free to post if you have any more questions.

See you around.

Terry

How does a licensing change inside the deployment with CUCM?

You dont need any extra license for CUCM. But if you are using CUWL pro licensing for your CUCM you are entitled for CWMS and you then order them as add-on and shouldn't pay for it.

-Terry

As far as I know, CUWL pro licensing provides me a host license for my WebEx deployement, whereas CUWL standart licensing provides me only 1-year Host Name subscription. What is this subscription? How ca I use this subscription? Is it this http://www.webex.com/products/web-conferencing.html#webex-meetings?

If I obtain BE6000 and BE6K-START-PRO25, will I be able to connect my BE6000 deployment with WebEX Meeting deployment without any issues? Will I get 25 host licenses for WebEx Meeting deployment?