cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can My ISP advertise my own Public IP's and AS Number (procured from routing registry) on bahalf of me

Senthil Kumar P
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

There is a scenario where my ISP will NOT be able to establish a BGP connectivity with me. But I have my own Public IP ranges/AS Number (procured from a routing registry directly).

Can My ISP advertise my own Public IP's and AS Number on bahalf of me and route the public segments statically to me which will reside on my Firewall ?

Has any come across this situation? Is this possible ?

Thanks in Advance

7 Replies 7

herferna
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

yes the  ISP can advertise your Public IP and AS No , but routing of Public statically am not sure what you mean ?

Regards

Hi Herferna,

We would be connected to the ISP via simple Internet leased Line with default routing and internet terminated on the FW directly. The FW would be having these Public segments as Natted IP's. So they should route that segment to our FW IP right ?

And what kind of BGP configuration would my ISP will setup for advertising my Public AS and IP's ?

HI,

Do anyone knew about the configs ?

Senthil

Does it really matter what configurations they use.

All you are interested in is that they advertise your public addressing and that traffic is routed to you correctly.

How they do that is up to them really.

In terms of routing, if they have agreed to advertise your block then yes they will also add the routing to make sure it is sent to your firewall.

Have they agreed to do this for you though ?

Jon

Hi Jon,

Yes they have agreed for that. I was wondering how do they advertise on behalf of me. Just Curious.

Thanks

Senthil

Hi Senthil

To be honest I don't know.

It won't be part of their allocated block so they can't include it as part of their summary range so I guess they will simply need to advertise your specific block.

I'm not sure about the ASN. I would have thought they would simply use theirs as I can't see it would matter.

Jon

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card