cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP371 clients constantly disconnecting/reconnecting

throwaway
Level 1
Level 1

I have a new WAP371 with firmware 1.1.2.3. It's installed on an interior wall on the second floor of my three-floor house. It receives power over Ethernet from an SG200-08P switch. Each radio has a separate SSID. WPA-Personal is used on both. All traffic is in untagged VLAN 1.

Clients are will not stay connected for longer than a minute or two. The log shows an association, then after usually one or two minutes, the log shows a deauth with the message "Disassociated due to inactivity." Then the very next item in the log is another association from the client. This will persist for a minute or two, and then the cycle repeats, continually and forever. This happens even when there is activity, so "Disassociated due to inactivity" seems wrong.

Following various bits of advice here, I've tried:

• various fixed frequencies
  • all bandwidth options
  • short guard interval yes and no
  • protection auto and off
  • frame burst on and off
  • fixed multicast rate auto and 54
  • removed 1 and 2 from legacy rate sets on the 2.4 GHz radio
  • set broadcast key refresh rate to 0
  • disabled TSPEC, scheduler, bandwidth utilization, client QoS, Green Ethernet

I'm at a loss to figure out how to fix this. It causes activity on the clients to sputter -- I'm seeing a fair number of retransmissions. Occasionally application connections, like streaming video, will reset. Help please?

34 Replies 34

Eric Moyers
Level 7
Level 7

My name Eric Moyers. I am an Engineer in the Small Business Support Center.

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue. 

I feel that this is an issue that will be difficult to effectively troubleshoot through chatting on the forums. You will get better results for something this complicated by opening a case with one of our engineers directly.

Please call our support center and open a case so that one of them can work directly with you.
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/web/tsd-cisco-small-business-support-center-contacts.html

If you like you can repost the case number here and I can check in on your case as well. 

Eric Moyers
.:|:.:|:. CISCO | Cisco Presales Technical Support | Wireless Subject Matter Expert

Please rate helpful Posts and Let others know when your Question has been answered.

Anyone resolve this?  I have the same issue.  I'm on firmware 1.2.0.2.  idevices constantly drop.  They look like they are still connected but no traffic passes to the internet.  I can, however, ping internally.  I have 3 SSIDs on two VLANS in front of a SG300 running layer 3 and acting as the default gateway and handing out DHCP and taking care of intra VLAN traffic and access lists. I have an ASA in front of the SG.  Windows machines work fine, its just iphones that have the issue.  The internet works fine for like 10 min and then dies.  If i switch over to another SSID ill be back in business for a few minutes then im dead again.  I am beyond frustrated. I bought 3 of these and have them set up as single point.  Not sure what else to try.  I called SMB support today to open a ticket and got hung up on twice.  I'm sure it was an accident but doesn't help my frustration.  

My name Eric Moyers. I am an Engineer in the Small Business Support Center.

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue. I sincerely apologize for your understandable frustration. I work in the SMB. What is your case number, I will look into that and make sure that someone reaches back out to you. 

For your wireless issue, Let me just recap, all devices work correctly except for iPhones.

Do you have any Mac Laptops? If so what is the connection like for those? What are the iPhones that are having the issue? iPhone 6? Are they running 8.3?

Wireless is one of the harder technologies to troubleshoot, since we have to deal with environmental issues as well. But if other devices are connecting fine and the only issue is iPhone's then the issue may lie in a configuration on the iPhone itself.

Apple has made some changes in the new iOS and that affects the way they operate.

Please find below some links that explains those changes.

iOS 8: Wireless roaming reference for enterprise customers
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203068

Cisco article on iPhone roaming -
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-0/iPhone_roam/b_iPhon
e-roaming.html

How iOS decides which wireless network to auto-join - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202831

Please let me know if that helps any.

Eric Moyers
.:|:.:|:. CISCO | Cisco Presales Technical Support | Wireless Subject Matter Expert

Please rate helpful Posts and Let others know when your Question has been answered.

The one MAC laptop seems fine.  its just the phones and iPads.  Two iPad 2s running the latest iOS and two iPhone 5S running latest iOS.  They don't disconnect .. i just cant hit the internet after being connected for about 20 min.  I can still ping the default gateway, and all other internal LAN devices like the APs, switches, my security system.  You just cant get out to the internet.  Ive tried separate SSIDs for 2.5 and 5, single SSID with band steering, just flat out turning off the 5G radio and then turning off the 2.4 radio.  It cant be a device issue.  I have three of these and they are all the same.  There is no way i got shipped 3 bad units.  I never got a ticket number since i got disconnected with TAC before we got there each time.  They would tell me the unit is under warranty, get my email, tell me to wait for a WebEx link then boom dial tone.  Twice.

My iPhone 4s works without issue running 1.0.1.5. I'm not necessarily suggesting going back to one of the first software releases but I am saying I don't have this problem on this software.

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

unfortunately I've tried running every available firmware.  same result.  It works fine for about 30 min then i have no internet.  I can then connect to the other SSID on the other VLAN and i get internet for about 30 min then that dies.  Then i have to forget all networks and reconnect and ill be good for another 30 min.  This just happens with apple mobile devices.  Windows and macbooks work great.  Ive tried all firmware versions and running just one AP to remove the possibility of roaming issues.  Set static channels .. always the same result.  Ive seen several other threads talking about this exact issue but I haven't come across anyone with a solution.  You can see it clearly in the logs.  The same exact behavior as the original poster. Im on my fourth iPhone testing .. same thing every time.

Update:

Cisco Case

Ill post here with any resolutions ..

No resolution.  The tech said this entry in the log is a result of a bug that was supposedly fixed in the last firmware.   He said "i guess its still a bug"

STA f8:27:93:69:90:59 deauthed from BSSID 1c:de:a7:64:b0:88 reason 4: Disassociated due to inactivity

He changed some of my channel settings and changed the 5G radio bandwidth to 20Mhz instead of 80Mhz.  He also removed the 1 and 2 Mb/s legacy rates from the 2.4 radio.  At that time my tester app started passing traffic to internet again so we left the ticket open to monitor it and he took my logs back to report the bug still exists.

I can report that 10 min after getting off the phone my iphones dropped again.  So ...no resolution.  i guess ill have to get back on the phone.

Looking at the notes the engineer put in your case, I noticed that there are a lot of updates from the cluster going back and forth. I have not really seen that much in the WAP's here in my lab. Not saying that is the issue, but something I am keeping in the back of my mind for now. 

Going through a list of some of the things I look at when doing wireless troubleshooting.... (some of these may have already been done, just listing everything I look at.

Normally these first two would affect all wireless connected clients.....

Is Green Ethernet enabled, if so disable that on the AP and on the port that the AP is connected to.

Make sure you have static channels set not Auto.

Get a copy of the diagnostic file. (Go to Administration->Support Information and click download.)

Do a wireshark Capture using the tool on the WAP. (http://sbkb.cisco.com/CiscoSB/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=43fd253dd8d14272a0e0d0045bf1bcf5_Configuration_of_Packet_Capture_on_WAP551_and_WAP561_Access_.xml&pid=2&respid=0&snid=4&dispid=0&cpage=search)

You  can send these to the engineer to put in case. Let me know when you do and I can pull them up and look at them.

Eric Moyers

Thanks .. im doing the capture now.

Channels are already static.  The tech told me to choose different channels for each AP.

Green ethernet already disabled.

I think the tech is seeing a lot of updates traversing the cluster because i have tried so many different config changes to get this stable.  Every time I make a change it has to propagate to the cluster members.

Ill update the case with the cap and the diagnostic package.

Thanks

throwaway
Level 1
Level 1

OP here. I know it's been a while. I thought I'd wait it out for a firmware update to see if that fixed the problem. A couple days ago I installed the new 1.2.0.2. Alas, this hasn't fixed the problem. The behavior as I described in the top post persists. I'll open a support ticket.

please let us know if you make any progress ... this is my ticket number if you want to have the tech cross reference 635390587 ...

my ticket is still open after working with a tech for over an hour ...  no resolution

thanks

Might not be relevant to your case, but I found with the new firmware a particular device had issues re-connecting when MFP ("Management Frame Protection") was enabled, set that to "Not Required" if possible.

Despite what the in-built documentation says, It is only enabled if you DISABLE WPA1, so it might not be appropriate to your circumstances.. but either way it's another thing to turn off that can effect client connections.

It is configurable under each of the "Virtual Access Points (SSIDs)" when you click "Show Details" under the "Security" column ONLY if WPA-TKIP is disabled.

MFP becomes enabled the moment you do a firmware upgrade. The client device in question stayed connected for a while and then refused to connect. Cisco are all over it as of this morning :-).

thanks for the tip .. i currently have this set to "capable"  im shutting it off .. ill let everyone know if it helps ..