cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CSCul50066 - Upgrade fails due to lack of disk space in the /common partition

nfryer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I noticed this has only 1 and 2 star ratings after bumping into this issue myself, so I figured I would help out the original poster and others who are experiencing this issue.

Presumably, the original poster is intending to advise that we read the CUCM 10.0(1) Upgrade Guide, and view the Pre-Upgrade Tasks therein.  These (the bullet points below) seem to be the salient options contained in that section.  I used the "Free Common Space COP file" option to resolve my disk space issue and allow my upgrade.  I found the .cop file in the following download area on CCO:

Downloads Home

Unified Communications Manager / CallManager / Cisco Unity Connection Utilities-COP-Files

It is called:  "VMware Disk Size Reallocation COP file: This COP file allows UCM VMs to increase the size of their vDisk(s) without requiring a system rebuild. 
ciscocm.free_common_space_v1.1.cop.sgn "

Use the Cisco Log Partition Monitoring Tool to adjust the low and high watermarks to reduce the traces

and remove unnecessary log files. Cisco recommends that you adjust the low watermark value to 30,

and the high watermark value to 40. After the upgrade, you must restore the high and low watermarks

to their original values in order to avoid premature purging of traces. The default value for the high

watermark is 85. The default value for the low watermark is 80. For more information about using the

Cisco Log Partition Monitoring Tool, see the Cisco Unified Real-Time Monitoring Tool Administration

Guide.

Use the Disk Expansion COP file (ciscocm.vmware-disk-size-reallocation-<latest_version>.cop.sgn) to

expand the vDisk size if your virtual environment has additional available disk space. Ensure that you

review the Readme file that supports this COP file before you proceed.

Use the Free Common Space COP file (ciscocm.free_common_space_v<latest_version>.cop.sgn). This

COP file removes the inactive side in the common partition to increase available disk space without

requiring a system rebuild. Ensure that you review the Readme file that supports this COP file before

you proceed.

Manually remove outdated or unused firmware files from the TFTP directory. You can remove these

files using the TFTP File Management page in the OS Administration interface, or you can use the file

list tftp and file delete tftp commands from the command line interface.

4 Replies 4

Todd Hebert
Level 5
Level 5

Thanks for the info, this happened to me on my 10.5.1 lab server when trying to upgrade to 10.5.2 using PCD, the COP file worked like a champ and my upgrade is in progress.

mcaldogne
Level 3
Level 3

Hello!

We are planning an Upgrade from CUCM 9.1(2) to 10.5(2) and from CUPS 9.1(1) to IMP 10.5(2b) and I've some question to the disk space:

• In the upgrade guide it is written that you need 25 GB free space in the common partition do the upgrade. We have more as 61 GB on the Publisher and 37,5 GB on the Subscriber: do I need anyway to install the COP file ciscocm.free_common_space_v<latest_version>.cop.sgn?
  • Our CUPS has about 27 GB free space in the common partition: is better maybe to install the COP file on the CUPS?
  • Our cluster was originally 8.6 with 2 CPU, 6GB RAM and 2 disks to 80GB. Now it is version 9.1 and we need to go to 10.5: it's necessary to increase the second disk to 110GB or it can be done if there would be no enough space? I think I can avoid to install the COP file ciscocm.vmware-disk-size-reallocation-<latest_version>.cop.sgn.

Thank you in advanced for your help.

Mirko

Mirko,

This happened to me a few more times on my production systems since I posted.  I would highly recommend installing PCD if  you haven't yet, 11.5.1 was recently released.  You will need your VMware admin to type in the VMware admin username/password in order to discover the ESX hosts directly from PCD.  Then do your cluster discovery and you can run everything right from PCD.  Makes life a lot easier during patches and upgrades.  It happened to me on CUCM, CUPS and Unity Connection but it's really no big deal.  If you start an upgrade task and it fails due to lack of disk space, just install this COP file on all your cluster members and try the upgrade again, it should work on the second attempt.  You don't have to load it ahead of time though, only if you need it.

Hi Todd,

thanks for the quickly reply. 

We evaluate PCD for the future, but at the moment we have to upgrade this cluster very quickly, 

I'm glad it's nothing difficult...before the next CUCM cluster upgrade I'll learn a little bit about PCD.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: