Views
Helpful
Replies

How to create a VLAN on only one host?

Max Sven
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

is there a way that a VLAN can be created on a specific host's vNICs rather than appying the VLAN to all hosts through an updating template?

I am kinda trying to get my head around UCS, I have alwats created vlans by creating the VLANs first and then modify the VLANs in an updating template, but in this case, only one host needs that VLAN.

2 Replies 2

Manuel Velasco
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Max,

The only way to do this is if you unbind the service profile from the template (service profile template, and vnic template), but this means that you will need to keep track of the changes for this service profile separately as this service profile won't be part of these templates. 

Note that you will still need to allow the vlan on the uplinks but you will be able to assign this vlan to the unbounded service profile.

Keny Perez
Level 8
Level 8

You will do this frequently (besides doing what Manuel just suggested, which basically your answer) you might want to change from Updating templates to Initial templates, so you can just have a very basic "initial" config and then modify it as needed without propagating the change to anybody else.

If Manuel answered your question or my input was helpful, don't hesitate to rate them :)

-Kenny

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: