cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP 321 Gigabit issues

s.g.hilde1
Level 1
Level 1

Not sure where to post this or which section sorry if I have it in the wrong section.

here is my issue, I have a client that I have set up a Cisco WAP 321 for them to use. here is the deal I have issues with this thing actually working, I had it up and running then one day my client called saying it quit working. they had upgraded a piece of hardware, during this time. I went in tried to re configure it with no luck. brought it back to my workshop hooked it into my test network and it worked fine. plugged it into my enterprise network and it stopped working. so I started to watch it, on my test network the LAN light is solid amber meaning it is 100baseT, on my enterprise network it is solid green which is 1000baseT, however on the 1000baseT it goes into a reset loop, continually cycles, drops power comes back on immediately drops again comes on wifi on, power off again, just this constant flutter. The moment I plug it back into any 100baseT connection Immediately starts working properly. I have moved it from multiple gigabit networks and it will not work on any of them, but it works on all 100baseT networks. I have reset it, I have upgraded firmware, nothing works. is there a setting I am just missing? or for some reason do I have a dud device?  

6 Replies 6

Eric Moyers
Level 7
Level 7

My name Eric Moyers. I am an Engineer in the Small Business Support Center.

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue. 

I have never seen any of our WAPs act like this. How long have you had this device. If less than the return period, I would return for a new device. If you are past your return time, this may be easier to troubleshoot speaking directly to one of our Engineers.

Please call our support center and open a case so that one of our engineers can work directly with you.
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/web/tsd-cisco-small-business-support-center-contacts.html

Eric Moyers
.:|:.:|:. CISCO | Cisco Presales Technical Support | Wireless Subject Matter Expert

Please rate helpful Posts and Let others know when your Question has been answered.

this was purchased June 12, 2014. from Newegg, I will look into the warenty information, will also get with the support center. Thank you

You are within the 1 year free Phone Support and well within the Hardware Warranty as well. I would call and work with one of our phone engineers on this.

Eric Moyers
.:|:.:|:. CISCO | Cisco Presales Technical Support | Wireless Subject Matter Expert

Please rate helpful Posts and Let others know when your Question has been answered.

network.moh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi S.G Hilder1

I guess this issue from layer 1 negotiation.  please try this following and get back with your resole.  I am former Cisco small business TAC and currently I am design core network engineer at one of ISP's  

Step1 -->  make sure your cable CAT5E or greater

Step2 -->  login to AP gui and make sure  Auto Negotiation is enable.  LAN --> Port Settings --> check Auto Negotiation box  --> Save

Step3 --> go to your lap switch and change the switch port to static 1GB, some switches MPLS switch use command nonnegotiation,  some catalyst use speed 1000, chose dublex full

Please try this steps and I wish it work for your customer.

if issue still occur, try downgrade firmware and see if issue still occur.  if it is this mean 100% a bug

Cables are all cat5e, I had already confirmed those settings my self however just checked again, all auto negotiations are on. the switches are all non-managed switches, this has happened on all switches and routers that I plug it into that are gigabit. this issue only happens while on a gigabit connection, as soon as I put it on a 100baseT router or switch there is no issue. this issue has also been happening on the old firmware and the new version that I just upgraded to last night. seeing as all switches are non-managed I can not try as you suggested, however this even happens on my home routers, and a few other routers, unfortunately these home routers will not let me force 1Gb connections either. this could just be bad hardware I guess, I just feel that I am missing some setting somewhere.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: