Views
Helpful
Replies

configuring vlan over mutiple sites

lushanojohnson
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

Im new to Cisco but i have a client with a switch that was setup a while back. This switch has configuration for a vlan which is being used to supply a cisco access point. This client also has a remote location. The remote location is connected via a local loop from the ISP, and the client would like the same vlan availible to supply an additional cisco access point at the remote site. can anyone assist me?

5 Replies 5

Cisco Freak
Level 4
Level 4

Hey,

Can you clarify your requirement? Do you want to deploy a new AP in the same VLAN?

CF

Yes Cisco Freak a new access point at a remote location.

Can you clarify the actual connection between the two sites.

Is it a L2 connection or a L3 routed connection ie. how are the sites connected, what devices are at either end etc.

Jon

On both ends there are cisco catalyst switches 2900 i believe. the sites are connected via a routed local loop from the isp.

Do you currently have vlans that are in both sites ?

And do you have any devices in each site for routing between vlans.

Basically I need to understand whether the link is a L2 link in which case you may well be able to extend a vlan or a L3 link where it becomes a lot harder depending on the equipment you have.

So can you draw a very quick diagram (nothing fancy), to show the network devices in each site and also post the switchport configuration from each 2900 switch used to connect to the link.

Jon

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card