cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

running PRSM appliance in Hyper-V environement

tato386
Level 6
Level 6

Looking for info, feedback, experience or just plain advice on how to make this work.  My understanding is that Cisco provides this as a OVF file to be used in VMware.  I believe that I can extract a VMDK file from the package and them convert this to VHD format.  I plan to use Win2012R2 as the Hyper-V platform which supposedly supports most of the popular Linux variants and also FreeBSD.

Thoughts?

Rgds,

Diego

2 Replies 2

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It wouldn't be supported but if you hack the OVF into VHD you may be able to get it to work. I wouldn't recommend it for a production environment.

You do know that PRSM and CX are end of sales, yes? As such, new platform support won't be forthcoming. I have heard we may see Hyper-v for the newer episodes FireSIGHT Management Center in the future. 

I am very much aware of the EOS of the CX and still fuming that Cisco did that to their loyal customers.  Part of the appeal of the CX was that it didn't require a VMware setup to run it, which is especially appealing in smaller installations.

I certainly am not going to assume or expect Hyper-V support for FireSight.  They way I see it, if I can get the PRSM stuff working on Hyper-V it will be a good exercise for a few years down the road when I will be forced to go FireSight (or whatever replaces that) seeing how Cisco is being so fickle with this stuff.

Thanks for your input.

Diego

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card